Another poorly hen

• 5 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Another poorly hen
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:26 »
Can anyone offer some idea as what may be wrong with our hen Joyce.

We lost one of our three hens last week. I think she was egg bound, but not absolutely sure. We had been keeping an eye on Joyce, as she had been showing signs of being a bit poorly and all of a sudden the other one went and died.

Joyce seems very weak and although not off her food completely, she does not eat too much. She cannot hop up a step higher than 6 inches and cannot get into hen house at night (I have to put her in). She walks around a bit (slowly), but spend most of the time sitting or standing in one place.

All our hens were in fine condition until they came back from a boarding farm that looked after them while we were on holiday in June. They are about 2.5 years old and had been laying every day for the last year, but when they came out of boarding they all stopped laying and then two of them have become sick. Third one seems to be fine and is laying as before.

Any thoughs please?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Another poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:29 »
I would take her to a vet to get her checked over - could have caught something at the other place or it could be because of a change in routine, feed etc or even an age thing depending on the breed  :(.
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:40 »
Also check for red mite as a bad infestation really is debilitating the hens become weak and morose. They may well have picked them at the boarding farm. Hens like routine and to be cared for by a well know select few people. The stress of being in a different environment and then coming home to their original but 'new' environment may well have given them quite a knock.

Orchardlady.  :)

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 15:06 »
Thanks for your replies. I'm pretty sure no red mites.
Could be the stress of being moved. They did seem very subdued when they came back and not their usual 'cheeky' selves, but that was only for the first week after returning and they have been back over four weeks and were behaving normally except for not laying.
I think a trip to the vet is on the cards! :unsure:

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:33 »
Sorry to say I lost her. :( She was just so weak and dying slowly that I had to put her out her misery, rather than see her suffer.

Now we are left with just one hen. Question is should I get some more soon or leave it for a bit to make sure there is not a disease that could affect others?

The remaining hen seems healthy and is still laying.

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:49 »
So sorry to hear about your girl  :(

I think you can get the vet to do a post mortem, they should be able to tell you what she died of but I don't know how much this would cost. That would at least put your mind at ease before getting any more.

Liz x

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Another poorly hen.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 12:21
by Chas
xx
Another poorly hen

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 29, 2010, 07:52
by joyfull
xx
poorly hen?

Started by maninvan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 18:14
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 39 queries.