flee beetle

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

flee beetle
« on: November 25, 2019, 17:31 »
I know have mentioned this topic before but it came to light again when I was reading an article in which gardening December issue on Brassicas and they mentioned very briefly that some of what they had grown being kale was badly nibbled by the flee beetle  ???

they suggest covering with fine mesh so it could be that the nets I'm using is letting the flee beetle in I've looked on line and I can't seem to find anything that controls this pest because this is the pest that attacks agricultural rape that is basically a brassica and destroys the crop

the flee beetle is becoming a real problem since they banned farmers from  spraying rape because the chemicals used where a threat to bees that I must agree to ban it is the best option but at the same time with all the modern technology at hand why haven't the boffins come up with a suitable organic alternative to control flee beetles for both farmers and the home gardener who is troubled by this darn pest  >:(

the brassicas I seen on  the television grown in Lincolnshire the other week didn't seem to have any insect problems I should perhaps  take visit to Lincolnshire to see what I'm doing wrong when growing my brassicas  :unsure:

jambop

Re: flee beetle
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 17:53 »

I do not have problems with my cabbages etc but usually my rocket looks like it has been blasted with a shotgun  :lol: So much so that I now grow it in planters on a bench where the blighters cannot get to it.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 16:43 »
The beggers jump so construct something like a pizza paddle and coat with good grease, passing it over the crop, the fleas jump and stick to the grease.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:21 »
Rocket was always the one that attracted fleas in my plots.   I used to cover them with old net curtains, that kept the blighters out.     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 16:23 »
yes I had though about that idea Kleftiwallah  using the old fly sticky paper that's not costly but mite do the job hang it in the raised bed under the net I've put that in my garden log something to try next season and sticky strip doesn't wash of you never know we mite just get some decent brassicas using that method good thinking Batman :D

xx
flee beetle

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2019, 10:13
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Flee beetle nightmare

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 16:38
by oldcow
xx
What is this beetle?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2011, 11:25
by viettaclark
xx
BEETLE

Started by MPOWNEY on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 15:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 38 queries.