Planting strawberries next to raspberries

• 9 Replies

ianl

• Experienced Member
Planting strawberries next to raspberries
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:03 »
Hi, last year, I built a fruit cage 18' x 10'. I planted a row of six autumn and six summer raspberries in the centre running lengthways. Neither did particularly well! Between the autumn raspberries and the edge of the fruit cage, there is a 3' gap where I would like to plant some strawberries. I would contain the strawberries on a membrane and small walls. My question is if this is possible? I dont know how rasberries grow, runner wise. would I be right in thinking that the autumn ones dont spread as much. Please help!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Planting strawberries next to raspberries
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:10 »
I started with a few Autumn Bliss twigs, given to me a a fellow plot holder. They are now a 32' x 6' hedge - so yes they do spread - more so than the summer ones, I find.

You may get away with it for a year, but that'll about be it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:16 »
If someone told my Autumn Bliss to keep themselves nice and compact they weren't listening!

They produce suckers from the roots and each sucker then produces new roots and hence new suckers so if you don't dig them out immediately you can get new plants appearing 6 feet or more away from the original parents.

I don't have space to waste and in the confines of a fruit cage neither do you if you want to grow strawberries close by - a couple of years ago I inserted a vertical barrier of spare pond liner to a depth of about 18" about 18" away from the raspberry row which has so far successfully held them back (corrugated plastic sheet or similar would also work and might be easier to work with.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09 »
Thank you both for your quick replies. I had a feeling that they grew vigourisly! You wouldn't think it from those little sticks. I think that I will use the space for salad bits and pieces and grow the strawberries elsewhere.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:21 »
I would also recommend splitting the summer and autumn raspberries into different beds if you have room spare so you don't get confused when they need pruning!  Once the autumn spread after a couple of years - you will have trouble separating them, believe me - I speak from experience!!!

I use the forest planting method with gooseberries, red/white and black currants, underplanted with strawberries and because the main bushes don't spread in the same way as raspberries, this works well.  All the plants are south facing, so the main bushes don't cast much shade on the strawberries and I pot up the runners into small pots.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:03 »
Hi, I'm still confused on how raspberries can grow into a hedge. I thought that they had to be pruned down to the ground yearly. At least the Autumn ones.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:16 »
Hi, I'm still confused on how raspberries can grow into a hedge. I thought that they had to be pruned down to the ground yearly. At least the Autumn ones.

They do (it's an "annual" hedge!)  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 12:17 »
The do need pruning. But they have spread 3' either side of where they were originally planted and the row is that wide when it pops up in spring.

It takes some effort to keep it down to that as well, and none of the neighbours want any more canes!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 12:21 »
I have to say that both my summer and autumn raspberries (in separate areas of the fruit cage) have very generously populated the edge of next door's lot with some rathe decent canes now  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 13:20 »
Yes , now I understand ;) Thank you all for your responses.

xx
Raspberries and strawberries

Started by Tortoisebex on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 05, 2013, 10:54
by Hobnails
xx
Strawberries & Raspberries

Started by simpson-allen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 20:21
by Trillium
xx
strawberries and raspberries in compost

Started by Allan-25J on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 13, 2019, 20:44
by Allan-25J
xx
When to transplant Strawberries and Raspberries ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 07, 2011, 19:56
by Trillium

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 33 queries.