Can I move my rhubarb?

• 3 Replies

reddytogarden

Can I move my rhubarb?
« on: August 08, 2019, 17:50 »
Newbie here and amongst other overcrowding mistakes, I planted my rhubarb too close to my raspberries, blueberries and tayberries, The rhubarb is ENORMOUS (I planted a one year crown this May and the plant (unpicked as it's year one) is at least 1 metre cube in size!!! The poor berries are suffering massively as they have no room and no light. I have a nice roomy spot but wonder if I will be damaging it if I dig the rhubarb up and move it - now or in September?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Can I move my rhubarb?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 18:01 »
Ideally it should be left til winter when it has died back to the root.

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 08:23 »
My experience of a mature rhubarb is that it cant be killed off! Not so sure about a newer one but as mum says really you should dig it up later in the year when the leaves have all died down.

I tried to dig out a really mature rhubarb as it was in the wrong place. I gave away lots of pieces of it (with buds above ground and roots below) to other people, replanted a bit and really dug out some huge roots. It still wants to be there and keeps reappearing whatever I do. I feel guilty about it- it really wants to be in that place!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 09:30 »
I dug up an overgrown plant last october, split it into about 8 plants, gave a load away and the remainder just left on top of the land, roots and all, over winter and replanted in a new spot in Feb. Theyve not only established well but probably are larger plants than before, loads of stems and the canopy about a metre across. Ive come to the conclusion that with Rhubarb its a case of 'treat em mean, keep em keen'.

Get them dug and replanted in october if you have somewhere for them to go, though being new plants id probably avoid leaving them out of the ground as long i did.

xx
When can I move Rhubarb

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2021, 18:22
by Eblana
xx
Rhubarb when can I move it?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 17, 2019, 13:44
by mumofstig
xx
Is it a bad time to move rhubarb?

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 23:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
sorry, another 'when to move' question, this time rhubarb!

Started by mrsparsnip on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2006, 22:06
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 40 queries.