bitter cucumber

• 28 Replies

kezlou

bitter cucumber
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 20:56 »
Another daft question  :oops:
Hi Sharon is it ok if the cucumbers are grown in a pot outside?
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

pumpkin-queen

bitter cucumber
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 20:56 »
As it ties in with this thread, I'm growing 'Venlo' which is a pickling gherkin variety (one in greenhouse and some outside). It produces male & female flowers, but packet says don't pick off males. Plants are producing like mad, but hoped I could also eat them raw as they are just a mini cucumber, but they're bitter (pickling is curing this). If I pick off male flowers can I assume this variety won't then pollinate? If I can only pickle them I might have to start supplying a well known burger chain beginning with M! Didn't realise 5 plants would produce so much!

kezlou

bitter cucumber
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 23:48 »
Hi there pumpkin-queen,

My partner wants me to grow gherkins next year, are Venlo an indoor or outdoor variety that is if you don't mind me asking. Sorry for being forward.

So glad i asked this question i never they was so much to know about growing them. Its amazing how much you learn just by asking. Thanks everyone.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
bitter cucumber
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 07:28 »
I'm growing this variety to make gherkins...

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/gww0236/1

There's load of seeds in a packet & I'm picking them like there's no tomorrow. All grown outside.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Cazzy

bitter cucumber
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 09:07 »
I'm sure it is 'Ridge' variety i'm growing, there was nothing on the packet advising to take the male flowers off but I did notice early on that the male flowers tended to fall off the plant fairly quickly so I didn't bother...

... got my first bitter fruit the other day and it was NOT nice, I make sure I pick them all off now.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

sclarke624

bitter cucumber
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 13:55 »
my first cuc on my burpless plant was bitter but am 98% sure that is because I left it on there too long.  Was yellowing, short and fat and right at the bottom of plant.  Next ones I picked were longer and darker green and normal taste.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Trillium

bitter cucumber
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 14:47 »
Any hint of yellow means the cuke is past it's prime and is readying to become a seed cuke. Definitely bitter at this point.

You have to be pretty vigilant about checking cukes for ripeness, almost like courgettes - turn your back and you're up to your eyeballs in them.
Watering every day is also important against bitterness. Even though we get some rain showers, I find the surrounding trees 'umbrella' the water away from the cuke patch, so I just water them regardless.

Sharon

• Experienced Member
bitter cucumber
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 17:53 »
Hi Kezlou,
I wouldn't grow them in pots, they spread too much.  Although you could if you provided them with something to grow up and tied the plants to it. Someone else might be able to give you a better idea.  I just let mine trail on the ground over weed suppressing membrane to protect them a bit.

kezlou

bitter cucumber
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 00:17 »
My cucumbers are in pots at the moment and are being supported by bamboo canes and a LOT of string. Have to keep untangling the tendrils from supporting themselves on the tomatoes.
Thanks again everyone.

iwantanallotment

bitter cucumber
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 00:34 »
Mine are in pots too, against the veg patch fence for support (although they seem to prefer the ground  :roll:  )
The Burpless got mildew and is looking a bit sick and Marketmore just vanished from its pot, but the Lemon Crystal are all going crazy, must be 30 on each plant. No males, so I presume it's a hybrid? Didn't look into that when sowing.
Has anyone ever eaten these?

pumpkin-queen

bitter cucumber
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 19:22 »
Hi Kezlou, we have one of our 'Venlo' in greenhouse, supporting it up a cane with a couple of trailers and we've let it grow along a side support. Cut all over trailers off cos it was taking over! We have 4 others outside, also up canes but we've pretty much let them do their own thing and they've started wandering off along the ground. All are producing really well. Hope that helps. Still don't really know if there's anything I can do to be able to eat them as is! Running out of pickle jars!

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
bitter cucumber
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 10:21 »
Right...

Aquired two cucumbers in a swap for two BNS plants... I have no idea what varieties or type they are, but are producing shortish squat fruit with dark spikes which rub off (potentially ridge?)

.. have grown them on in a cold frame on the allotment with the roof off for some while now.  One is producing green cucumbers (picked about 4/5 to date, which have been fantastic

The other is producing an abundance (counted 10 yesterday) of yellow cucumbers but the ones' we had yesterday are bitter...

I have not taken any male flowers off either plant.

Any idea what is causing the yellow cuc to be bitter... and what measures can I take to stop this happening.  What about the existing fruit on the plant?
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

gobs

bitter cucumber
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 21:58 »
Quote from: "senrab_nhoj"
Right...

Aquired two cucumbers in a swap for two BNS plants... I have no idea what varieties or type they are, but are producing shortish squat fruit with dark spikes which rub off (potentially ridge?)

.. have grown them on in a cold frame on the allotment with the roof off for some while now.  One is producing green cucumbers (picked about 4/5 to date, which have been fantastic

The other is producing an abundance (counted 10 yesterday) of yellow cucumbers but the ones' we had yesterday are bitter...

Any idea what is causing the yellow cuc to be bitter... and what measures can I take to stop this happening.  What about the existing fruit on the plant?

I know, there are quite a few yellow cukes, but I have been growing mine for quite a few years running never a bitter fruit. Don't you leave harvest too late by any chance, easyly done with them.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
bitter cucumber
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2008, 00:40 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Quote from: "senrab_nhoj"
Right...

I know, there are quite a few yellow cukes, but I have been growing mine for quite a few years running never a bitter fruit. Don't you leave harvest too late by any chance, easyly done with them.

Will take some younger fruit and test to see.... sounds like a plan.. cheers

xx
Bitter cucumber

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 19:34
by devonbarmygardener
xx
bitter cucumber

Started by eliza on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 15:23
by Trillium
xx
Bitter cucumber advice please.

Started by Mother Earth on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 22:45
by rockyracoon
question
Bitter spinach

Started by chools on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2019, 22:26
by chools

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 34 queries.