Saving tomato seed for next year

• 31 Replies

JimB

• Experienced Member
Re: Saving tomato seed for next year
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 21:49 »

Hi,
I grow different varieties of tomatoes in the greenhouse mostly beef, if they get too cool the leaves curl, so with me they seem to like heat!

Some years ago I saved seed from a plant not sure which one, not F1 for sure, sowed them next season, massive plants, pea sized tomatoes, total waste of time, as a whole season was wasted,  but I gained  experience and knowledge as I would never do the same again!

It is safer for me to buy seed though not T&M then I am sure of getting a decent crop.

PS It is only now that my tomatoes are starting to taste like proper home grown tomatoes, up to now they have been "watery".
STOP, and smell the roses!

Headgardener22

Re: Saving tomato seed for next year
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2015, 17:24 »
I like saving seed as it gives me the chance of having something different. What I tend to do is to save the seed from a plant and then grow it and the original seed to see how similar/different they are. If the parent and my saved seed look the same then I assume they are the same and carry on. If they're different then I decide whether I want to keep them or not.

I've got one sort that I have been growing out for about four years, they're a yellow cherry that was really sweet tasting originally. Unfortunately, I only had five seeds originally so I used them all up in a couple of years. Last year, I had two very similar yellow cherry varieties and one red cherry. I didn't keep the seed from the red one. This year I've got plants from the two yellow ones. I'm growing three plants of each, one has ripened already on all three plants but the other still looks a couple of weeks away.

question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc
clip
Saving tomato seed

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2019, 05:24
by Dev
xx
Saving tomato seed

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 16:24
by poodle
xx
Saving F1 tomato seed

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2023, 07:01
by Growster...

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 36 queries.