all rhubarbed out

• 8 Replies

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
all rhubarbed out
« on: August 31, 2012, 03:49 »
just clearing out the freezer, with the promise of vic plums from 3 people and blackberries on thier way.

Made jam, rhubarb & gooseberry and rhubarb & orange. Rhubarb chutney, new one on me, smells good left in the slow cooker, used wine vinager prefer the smell.

made a resolution to label all food just thrown 3 things :ohmy: away cus I couldn't work out what they were even after defrosting and tasting  :blink:
left some labels out to remind me.

anyone like tofu? don't like the texture :(
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

allotmentann

Re: all rhubarbed out
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:44 »
I hate tofu - it has a taste (and the same texture) that reminds me of when I used to chew the erasers from the tops of my pencils at school! I am also resolved to label what goes into my freezer - although I can usually tell what it is when it is defrosted! My biggest none labelled annoyance is white wine and egg whites, no way at all to tell until defrosted! And egg white in the casserole would definitely not work! :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 17:13 »
Sounds like a productive day Rachel  :)

I like tofu but only in chinese restaurants or takeaway. Anything I have made at home has been disappointing.

The secret (so I have been told after saying this to the lady in our local takeaway) is to drain it well, slice and press out the water gently with paper towels, then deep fry it until lightly golden.  This makes it spongy and it will then soak up the flavours of anything it is cooked with.

Haven't tried this as yet, but our local takeaway does a very good stir-fry vegetables with tofu so might have another go.  Their tofu is a very different texture which I thought was due to them buying the real stuff and me having to make do with supermarket stuff, but the lady from the takeaway assures me this is not the case  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 18:28 »
A veggie friend of mine used to freeze her tofu because when it was defrosted, she could squeeze out more of the water and it absorbed more of the marinade.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 19:25 »
The tofu info is interesting, perhaps I should be brave and give it another go!
Rachel, I can't wait to have some rhubarb to do anything with - no success yet. Sounds like you have made some lovely things :)

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 20:39 »
Rachel, I can't wait to have some rhubarb to do anything with - no success yet. Sounds like you have made some lovely things :)

all been given to me this year mines just been moved. I'm wondering if I could add a small amount of tofu to a soup before blending

Madame Cholet

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 04:40 »

all been given to me this year mines just been moved. I'm wondering if I could add a small amount of tofu to a soup before blending
this worked well done it twice now.

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:36 »
Pleased it worked out well :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 15:14 »
I love my rhubarb.  My two favourites are Rhubarb & Ginger Chutney and Rhubarb & Vanilla Jam - it's making my mouth water just thinking about them  :D

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.