• 19 Replies

jaydig

Re: What do to with this mess?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 08:17 »
It's bonfire night soon! :)

swaine

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 17:49 »
I've got a bush in a similar shaded, north facing, position. Its a Merton thornless blackberry, and its about 6 years old.  It fruits really well (on the second year wood).

After it has finished fruiting (about now!) I cut all the old wood shoots that have fruited back to about 2" above the ground. This will leave several shoots that have grown this year and which will fruit next year. I choose 3 of these shoots to keep, and again cut back any others to ground level. I trim these 3 shoots back to about 5 to 6 ft above the ground, and tie them into the trellis. Finally I spread a couple of buckets of compost as a mulch, but make sure the mulch doesn't touch the bush.

Next year, give it a bit of high potash fertiliser when it flowers, and water the roots if it gets very dry.

Last thing. I don't know if this applies to all cultivated blackberries or just Merton thornless. When the berries appear, they look black and ripe but are still tart and bitter. They are only fully ripe when a berry has just lost its shiny gloss and is slightly dull.

Hope this helps. It works for me!

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 09:39 »
@Swaine - what sort of weight of fruit will you get on those 3 canes, please? How many canes do you cut off that would have otherwise fruited next year?
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Eblana

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 21:32 »
I had a thornless BB which wasn't producing well.  I was advised to cut the old branches (those which had fruited) back to the ground.  I was then told to tie the remaining branches onto the supports in an upside down U shape with the tip down towards the ground as this reduces the energy that is put into growing the branches and leaves it available to the plant to put into fruit production.  Worked a treat for me this year, I got tons of BB's and was able to make jam for the first time.

swaine

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 17:37 »
Eblana
It looks as though we both prune the blackberry bush in much the same way. I'll try your tip of training the new shoots in an "inverted" U shape when I prune next year. I'm thinking blackberry wine with the surplus though, rather than jam!

xx
Oh dear, allotment in a right mess

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 21:34
by Togalosh
xx
Potato spacing mess up

Started by Brushcutter on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 17:47
by Brushcutter
clip
How best to tackle tomato mess up?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 22:02
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Classica Tomato Plant Hybrid Mess Up?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 12:44
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 28 queries.