My 3 hens don't eat mixed corn and rats have arrived

• 7 Replies

stujem

My 3 hens don't eat mixed corn and rats have arrived
« on: September 22, 2010, 00:44 »
I have given mixed corn to my hens and they don't eat it, my gran who has had hens for years said dont give it to them if they dont like it, but make sure that they eat layers pellets. I make sure my hens have pellets all day long. They are in a run 3mts by 3mts I do let them out some days, but because I know foxes are around I will not leave them out of sight. I have a bag of mixed corn and I don't want to waste it, do any mebers have any ideas to get them to eat it?. I have read the winter page and mixed corn seems to be good for keeping them warm? I forgot to say I have spent alot of money on dried meal worms £20 for 800g should I stop giving meal worms and give them mixed corn
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 00:48 by stujem »
Stu

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: My 3 hens don't eat mixed corn and rats have arrived
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 05:26 »
if they don't like it then don't bother, sometimes they take a bit of time to get used to other foods (it took mine ages to try warm porridge made with water - in fact it was only when I got new hens and the older ones saw them eating it so they followed suit  ::)), however  with meal worms (the chicken equivelent of our chocolate) they are very fattening so really you should only give them a couple at a time. The trouble is when I try only give them a couple my girls try (and have succeeded  >:() legging me up so I spill the whole lot before  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 05:36 »
Assuming your hens are for laying eggs their staple diet should be layer pellets with a small handful of mixed corn each per day. Greens such as cabbage, lettuce etc should also be made available to them. If your feeding them lots of treats like mealworms you may be over feeding them which will put them off their pellets / corn. I would hold off with the treats and just stick to layer pellets and mixed corn for a while and see how it goes.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:48 »
if rats have arrived don't scatter the mixed corn until you've cleared the rat problem  :)  I give mine mixed corn in the afternoons - just enough to give them something to do in the afternoons before they get locked into the run at dusk. They get used to different foods over time  :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 15:11 »
Aren't they funny.  Fancy not liking corn!

It should be given as a treat in the afternoon, and only a small scoop so that it all gets eaten.  It could be that you're are getting a few too many treats?

If you've now got rats, you need to remove all food when the girls have gone to bed, and put their pellets out again in the morning.  Otherwise you will become the place to eat for the local rat population.

Corn will last for quite a long time if you store it properly - cool dry.  So hang on to it for a while yet and keep trying it on them now and then.  They probably will learn to like it if they're not stuffed full of meal worms! :lol:

stujem

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 18:47 »
Thank you all, I've cut back on the meals worms in the last few days, I give them some today to get them back from the field which is not mine and dont know if there are any foxes hidding around. They love slugs and worms from the gardren, I hope this is ok for them because I do pick up stones for them to find them.

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 19:00 »
Slugs, snails, butterflies (ahh) flies, the occasional frog if they get hold of one anything from the 'wild' is fine. Happy happy hens!

evie2

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 19:02 »
They find all sorts when they're scratting around :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
Mixed Corn

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 22:45
by yorkshirerose
xx
mixed corn

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 11, 2011, 14:02
by NormandyMary
xx
Something in the mixed corn?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 15:05
by arugula
xx
pellets or mixed corn

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 10:09
by Selkie

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 29 queries.