Are you enjoying or enduring the hot weather?

• 71 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Are you enjoying or enduring the hot weather?
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2018, 17:18 »
I really can't understand why they want to do that. It makes no sense, it not like starting a bonfire on Guy Fawkes night, is it, it could kill people!  :mad: Makes me very cross  >:(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2018, 23:51 »
Fire is fascinating and exciting - ask any child (or honest bloke). That's why they do it BUT they don't think about the consequences of their action in terms of damage, potential loss of life etc. Neither are there the constraints there used to be on children and teenagers. No longer do they fear retribution for misbehaving.

Having said that, even the Romans complained about the youngsters wild behaviour so maybe I'm way off the truth.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

al78

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2018, 00:45 »
Fire is fascinating and exciting - ask any child (or honest bloke). That's why they do it BUT they don't think about the consequences of their action in terms of damage, potential loss of life etc. Neither are there the constraints there used to be on children and teenagers. No longer do they fear retribution for misbehaving.

Having said that, even the Romans complained about the youngsters wild behaviour so maybe I'm way off the truth.

Yes, throughout history, people have always complained about the lack of discipline in the following generations, and how things were better in their day (nostalgia bias). An example of this is when someone says something like "they don't make things like this anymore". What they are referring too is one product bought a long time ago which lasted, but for all we know most of the other same products manufactured at the same time could have broken and been trashed after six months, we just see the small example of one or two that did stand the test of time.

https://www.wbs.ac.uk/news/why-we-think-life-was-better-in-the-good-the-old-days/

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2018, 11:01 »
Interesting link al78 - nothing to do with being young, fit and immortal then :)

Interestingly, it's not just Britain enduring a heatwave and no rain - watched a video last night about the problems they're having in Sweden. Worst drought since 1950 apparently.
Ridgedale Permaculture

Goosegirl

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2018, 12:21 »
It seems to be a total lack of respect from certain people not only for others but also our world and where we live. I do have to say you need to be taught respect from the beginning and that it should work both ways but in many cases that seems to have gone by the board. I would personally like to knock seven bells out of those who started these fires. Perhaps a stint spent in a fireman's uniform putting out what they started might not go amiss!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

snowdrops

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2018, 11:16 »
It seems to be a total lack of respect from certain people not only for others but also our world and where we live. I do have to say you need to be taught respect from the beginning and that it should work both ways but in many cases that seems to have gone by the board. I would personally like to knock seven bells out of those who started these fires. Perhaps a stint spent in a fireman's uniform putting out what they started might not go amiss!
Most of them wouldn’t survive 1 day of the training, let alone the weight of the ‘kit’ they wear. I think it weighs 28kg with the breathing apparatus. I’ll check with my daughter who is an on call firefighter. Having ‘gone’ through the training with her I have nothing but respect for them all & don’t start me on the cutbacks & them wanting them to work for longer before getting their pensions, I’d like to see MPs & members of the House of Lords carry out some of the tasks & training they go through after they reach 50 & then see if they think their retirement age should be raised.
Off my soap box now 😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2018, 12:46 »
Good one Snows. If perchance they didn't survive the day, they wouldn't do it again would they! It's back to respect again - this time from MPs etc, many of whom have absolutely no idea of what those in public service have to go through every day and night, not to mention the extreme stress they have to endure.   

Growster...

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2018, 18:34 »
A downside of this hot weather is that all the rock-apes in their old bangers keep their car windows open, so we have to endure endless trashy 'rap' and squealy blokes 'singing'!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2018, 22:04 »
A downside of this hot weather is that all the rock-apes in their old bangers keep their car windows open, so we have to endure endless trashy 'rap' and squealy blokes 'singing'!
I just put Led Zep, Cream, Groundhogs on at ear blasting volume so I don't hear them at all :)

al78

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2018, 20:13 »
I would personally like to knock seven bells out of those who started these fires.

I would be tempted to force them to face any victims (face to face) and see if confronting the consequences changes their outlook. If not, they might be high on the narcissism scale, in which case the best thing to do for the sake of humanity is drop them in the middle of the Atlantic ocean with concrete flippers.

Growster...

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2018, 07:04 »
I just put Led Zep, Cream, Groundhogs on at ear blasting volume so I don't hear them at all :)

Ha ha ha!

I do remember, however, belting out the chorus of 'Lying Eyes' (Eagles) out of an open Cortina window, while screeching out of Trafalgar Square and down Northumberland Avenue, but that was in summer 1976...

...and it was really hot back then...

xx
Enjoying the fruits of your labours

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 15:50
by sunshineband
xx
Enjoying autumn sunshine

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 14:40
by snowdrops
xx
What was your weather like

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post December 04, 2019, 11:06
by Goosegirl
xx
Bloomin weather!

Started by jambop on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post March 14, 2019, 19:07
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 51 queries.