Are crushed snails a deterrent for other snails?

• 14 Replies

Goosegirl

Are crushed snails a deterrent for other snails?
« on: May 11, 2014, 14:06 »
When I wang snails out that have got into my greenhouse, I then tread on them just outside the door. Could this act as a deterrent for any others that may try to enter?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

m1ckz

Re: Are crushed snails a deterrent for other snails?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 14:11 »
think not lol   but i dont know

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 14:39 »
I don't know either but if nothing else it does give my jane and I satisfaction to build the wall up lol  :D
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

Spr0ut

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 14:50 »
Slugs and snails eat slug and snail carcasses so you are actually inviting them in!

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 19:23 »
oops will stop now then :wub: :wub: :wub:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 19:33 »
Never seems to bother the snails in my back garden.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 19:38 »
When I wang snails out that have got into my greenhouse, I then tread on them just outside the door. Could this act as a deterrent for any others that may try to enter?

I wish that were true, but NOTHING stops slugs and snails from getting into my garden, greenhouse or wherever they want to be apart from the blue pellets of death and my own large boot.  Oh, and a lot of them are now learning how to become sea swimmers, or perishing in the attempt - that is after they have learnt how to fly once I have flung them seawards into the air.  I don't think the dead ones will prove any kind of deterrent - pity that.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 19:39 »
I'd say the visceral satisfaction that I get from making them 'pop' more than outweighs any potential increase in slug/snail cannibalism...

There was a time when I merely hurled the creatures over the conifers into next doors garden, but, no more. They have desecrated one too many innocent sunflowers... one to many cucumber... one to many lettuce. Especially the lettuce. So.... No more. No mercy. Bring me the salt. Bring me the nematodes. Those blue pellet things...
I shall prevail!

Cheers,
Balders
 :dry:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 19:43 »
I'd say the visceral satisfaction that I get from making them 'pop' more than outweighs any potential increase in slug/snail cannibalism...

There was a time when I merely hurled the creatures over the conifers into next doors garden, but, no more. They have desecrated one too many innocent sunflowers... one to many cucumber... one to many lettuce. Especially the lettuce. So.... No more. No mercy. Bring me the salt. Bring me the nematodes. Those blue pellet things...
I shall prevail!

Cheers,
Balders
 :dry:

I use salt in the garden some pellets are just too slow acting. I want them dead before they enjoy that last meal.

barley

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 21:39 »
try encouraging black birds and thrushes in - the whack snails to death on a hard surface

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 22:09 »
I doubt it with snails - but dead ants do dissuade other ants.
They return for their dead and don't come back to the same kitchen cupboard ::) ::) :mad:

rubberfrog

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 11:07 »
I don't really do the snail / slug killing.  Get yourself a pond and encourage frogs.  Snails and slugs are only going about their daily/nightly business and we are giving them an easy meal.  I quite enjoy going out in the morning before work moving all the slithering critters back to the bottom of the garden.

I do believe there is room for everything, plan and plant to suite.

No offense intended to anyone.

RF  :)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 12:17 »
A tip I was given last week which I thought would work: Take a 2l pop bottle and cut the top and bottom off. Cut the remaining cylinder into 3 or 4 pieces. On one side of each segment cut a serrated edge and then bend the points in alternating directions. Place around plant and press into soil. Same principle as broken egg shells but much more permanent. Same can be done with plastic milk bottles and big yogurt pots.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 12:54 »
Oooh - didn't know snails were cannibals.  :ohmy: It just seemed that, since I started doing it, I had far less "death invaders" than before. I have actually tried using milk cartons with a serrated edge cut on the top - forgotten about it until now, so will do it for my brassicas when they go out. I have both a pond and a waterfall feature and have seen froggies around in the past, including one my cat Daphne brought into the house to show me!  :blush:

easyonthebrain

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 22:26 »
My mother's been driven to distraction with snails and slugs in her greenhouse and recently she read about tinfoil containers with bits of cucumber in it. She around 6 of them in the greenhouse. Apparently the cucmber reacts with the tinfoil and there is a chemical reaction that is undetectable to humans but snails hate the smell and wont come in. Since she started using this mthod 4 weeks ago ... no snails or slugs...might be worth a try!!  :)

This is an excerpt from the booklet; Rid your gardens of slugs and some grubs. Practice pest control with aluminum and cucumber slices. Go green!

Grab shallow tins or aluminum foil pieces and spread out several cucumber slices on them. Spread the plates around the infected area. Replace dried out slices as necessary. The hero cucumber hides a formidable arsenal of natural chemicals within and it loves to react with aluminum. So, drive the garden pests nutty from the imperceptible odour of this reaction; send them to the neighbours (just kidding!)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 22:36 by easyonthebrain »

xx
Small snails eating my Swede leaves, how do you stop snails ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2011, 13:10
by JohnB47
xx
Bl***y snails

Started by Debbie D on Grow Your Own

52 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 09:28
by strangerachael
xx
Snails different types?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 01:10
by Paul Plots
xx
Snails - I could weep

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 20:54
by pumpkinpatch

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 39 queries.