sweet peas garden peas

• 4 Replies

potherb

sweet peas garden peas
« on: May 02, 2018, 07:20 »
i have tried growing peas from seed.i started in early march ,and i put my last ones in last week 29th april.
five times i tried .after about 8/10 days i am told they should be showing.after that period i gently dug them out and found a pea ,the same one i put in .no shoots or roots nothing.after my last effort i have one plant growing,about 2 inches high.what am i doing wrong.i used a multipurpose compost and a little vermiculite.
to start them then watered them ,the a little water each day.any help would stop me pulling my hair out (of which i have very little) thank you.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweet peas garden peas
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:53 »
I think it has been too cold and wet for early sown peas this year.
I usually direct sow peas in a shallow trench in Mid to late March with success, but not this year :(

Where are you growing them? I think this year, they could do with a little warmth indoors for germination.
To make sure I got some, I soaked some overnight on the 15th April,  put them in a plastic box on damp tissue. By the 23rd they had chitted (little roots were showing) so I moved them into mpc in module trays (2 per module) and put them out in the greenhouse they were showing above the compost by 25th.

I will make the main sowing of tall peas in the ground at the weekend, fingers crossed it is now warm enough. Outside, I sow as in this link DD's pea advice in Growing FAQs and other Information - Page 1 of 3

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 08:53 »
we planted some peas about two weeks ago in plastic coffee cups  in the greenhouse the varieties where alderman jaguar and carouby de mausanne there all coming up quite well not sown any sweet pea yet probably today same method as the garden pea

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 09:11 »
I'd highly recommend the putting seed between wet sheets of kitchen roll method. Plant them in modules when they have a little sprout which will appear after four/five days or so. I have 99% germination with both sweet peas and edible peas and done this for the last five years with good success.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 17:00 »
I soak sweet pea seeds before I sow them, and in the frost free greenhouse they are then up in about eight to ten days, if that helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
sweet peas

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 15, 2007, 20:19
by shaun
xx
Sweet Peas

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 04:20
by paintedlady
xx
Sweet Peas

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2007, 09:12
by wellingtons
xx
Can you eat sweet peas!?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 08:27
by tode

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 40 queries.