carrots

• 27 Replies

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
carrots
« on: January 30, 2009, 08:04 »
Hi . sorry for sounding stupid . im new to all this , just got an allotment & im wondering if you can start carrots off in a tray / propergator ,then plant out when sprouted ??
and is there a tool you use to sow your seeds the right distance apart . i tried and wind blew them all over ..

many thanks

gaz

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: carrots
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:11 »
Hi gaz & welcome.

When did you try this & how tall were they? I won't be sowing carrots until April.

I just sow thinly, directly into the ground. Some do start them off first, so you'll have to ask them about that.

They don't like a lot of root disturbance when transplanting, so you have to be very careful. If the wind blew them over, sounds like they were too big for transplanting, or did they just collapse, maybe?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:17 »
Hi Gaz and welcome  :)

I've never tried it myself but like Dave says you have to be pretty careful when you do.

There is a gadget to sow seeds the right depth and distance but it's only suitable for the open plot.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 08:26 »
Hi  .

I have just put them in a propergator my idea was to start them off so when i do plant them i can plant them right space apart.. I put some seeds in but they where parsnips and the seeds blew every where .thats why i was wondering if there was a tool for it ..

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:31 »
Ahh gotcha, it's a little early yet to be honest Gaz, most of us are sitting on our hands as it where to resist the temptation, I'd hang on sowing much for now.  You could start some broad beans off or peas they are pretty hardy and won't need going in the propergator   :)

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:36 »
ok .. i was just going off back of the packets said feb , which it nearly is so i thought a propergator to start them.. suppose i have loads to learn  :blush:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:37 »
Don't be tempted to put everything in a propagator gaz.

The only thing I use is a polythene bag and then only for things that will ulitimately going in the greenhouse.

Stuff for outside I'd never use more than a cold greenhouse or cold frame to start them off.

Don't forget also that transplanting sets the seedling back & very often directly sown stuff will catch up.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:50 »
with regards to the seeds blowing all over, try mixing them with sand as it helps to weigh them down and you can see the seeds much more easily- makes it a lot easier sowing them thinly.
I grow my carrots in containers, so I can just sow them straight in there and thin out when appropriate, if you are itching to get growing, try some in a bucket/container for your first fresh carrots. Ive got some on the go now  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Kagganz

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 10:58 »
with regards to the seeds blowing all over, try mixing them with sand as it helps to weigh them down and you can see the seeds much more easily- makes it a lot easier sowing them thinly.
I grow my carrots in containers, so I can just sow them straight in there and thin out when appropriate, if you are itching to get growing, try some in a bucket/container for your first fresh carrots. Ive got some on the go now  :D

What sort of carrots do you have in the bucket  peapod?
Also where is your bucket inside or out?

Thanks Karenxx

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 11:01 »
hi Karen
Buckets are inside an unheated GH and off the top of my head I think they are early nantes 2 (Ive binned the packets!) they are going great guns though

Kagganz

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14 »
Thanks, I have some early nantes 5 might try them in the greenhouse

Thanks again xxx  :D

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 11:22 »
Transplanting carrots is risky if you want straight deep roots. Maybe OK if you are growing short rooted sorts.

Wait for the soil to warm up and sow them in the ground mid March onwards. Make a furrow, dribble water along it, sow seeds between finger and thumb as thin as you can, cover lightly with dry soil, tamp down firmly with the back of a rake. Do not water again.

If you have been light fingered enough they do not really need thinning. Carrots are edible at all stages and the first pencil thick thinnings in salads are one of the delights of growing you own. Obviously if you have thick clumps some will need removing.

Some people sow carrots in a broad band 4 inches wide. Easier to sow thinly but weeding has to be done by hand and not by hoe.

gaz.grace

• R&G PLASTERING
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 14:13 »
cheers for all your advice every one ..  will leave it till later to sow them..

oh and if any one can tell me ... if you plant strawberrys from seed this year when will they crop (grow good enough to eat )  . would it be this yr or next ...  or is it worth  buying them already started as i have seen them on a few web sites ..

thanks for all your advice    ;)

CARROTTCRUNCHER

• THE START OF SOMETING GOOD...
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 19:39 »
Hi gaz welcome im new to all this to i have heard that you can buy carrots on a tape so there is no need to thin them out also you could start them off in some guttering then make a trench in your bed to slide them into tape cost a little more and as for just seed sprinkle them thinly and take them as baby ones .cover them up to carrot fly,

shaun

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 20:02 »
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots

Started by ecky on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 10, 2010, 11:50
by savbo
xx
carrots...what to do??!!

Started by Katt on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2006, 00:05
by John
xx
Carrots

Started by Bluedave on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 21:47
by Bozwell

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 40 queries.