Courgettes, how many??

• 21 Replies

RichardA

Re: Courgettes, how many??
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 09:07 »
leave one or two to get bigger and then treat as marrows (which is what a courgette is of course) and store into winter etc. they will sit outside upto first frost and keep taking what you need as you need it and store remainder
R

HelenK

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 09:34 »
I love courgettes, they must be one of the easiest veg to grow! I am putting four plants on my plot this year which I realise is a lot for a couple but I'm planning on giving lots to family etc. I have two Bambino and two Ambassador just for a bit of variety! Anyone else ever grown Bambino and what was it like?!

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 10:39 »
Are dwarf bush courgette plants as prolific as the full-size sort?  I'm growing Verde Di Milano from the Real Seed Company this year.

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 13:13 »
I grew 8 plants for the last two years and had way too much for the two of us. So this year I've added another variety and I've got a total of 12 plants ready to go out - Tuscany, Gold Rush and Rugosa Fruiliana! I just can't help myself. 

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 13:56 »
I grew 8 plants for the last two years and had way too much for the two of us. So this year I've added another variety and I've got a total of 12 plants ready to go out - Tuscany, Gold Rush and Rugosa Fruiliana! I just can't help myself. 

Like you I can't help myself.  Last year, 1 variety, 4 plants, plenty of courgettes, this year 4 varieties and 19 plants  :ohmy: so I'm delighted to hear there are plenty of recipes that I didn't know of last year.

RichardA

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 13:57 »
This year just watch when last ones finish (and also when first ones start fruiting relative to your sowing date) and then next year spread planting your 12 or so across the season, with a bit of protection you could still be taking fresh corgettes in Sept/October.
R

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 18:00 »
Hi
We love courgettes so I have 8 growing outside (I start them in the greenhouse and plant out when they have 3 sets of leaves). We pick the fruits while they are very small (6 inches at the most) and that encourages the plant to produce even more. Don't forget to eat the flowers too! Of course, they need to be picked every day so we tend to eat them every day or share with friends.

At the end of the season, I let a few grow large and we use them like marrows. Any surplus are pureed, frozen and used to thicken soups and casseroles.

A great plant!

There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

xx
What's up with my Courgettes?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 23:03
by bb_odiham
xx
Courgettes

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

50 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 10:25
by Beetroot queen
xx
Help with courgettes

Started by emma178 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 10:21
by Kristen
xx
how many courgettes

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 15, 2006, 22:58
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 39 queries.