community gardens

• 6 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
community gardens
« on: April 25, 2008, 18:27 »
Hi all
Im very excited, as Ive just been offered space on a community garden site, and also been offered a 10ft x 6ft plot on a relatives HUGE garden.
We're going to see the community site on Sunday, so obviously Ill find out more then but...
I dont mean to sound ungrateful and selfish,  :oops:
 Im wondering if the community garden scheme means that we grow as a group and harvest as a group.  Id really like to do my own thing for part of the space im offered anyway.  
Does anyone have any experience of a community garden? I know that schools and nurseries are invited to join in, and I love that idea..but is it not really a 'plot' as such?

Thanks all
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

peapod

• Pea Goddess
community gardens
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 22:19 »
bumpety bump
just in case :-)

noshed

community gardens
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 22:35 »
Can't imagine it would be that proscriptive.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
community gardens
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 22:49 »
but, and heres the main reason why, its on the site of a private very well run and maintained site, and there may be a lotty coming up in the next year or two, so I feel if I say no Im stuffed on that...guess Ill talk to him on sunday, post what he says and ask all your invaluable advice
thanks for the reply noshed  :D
Paula

Ruby Red

Re: community gardens
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 23:48 »
Quote from: "peapod"
Hi all
Im very excited, as Ive just been offered space on a community garden site, and also been offered a 10ft x 6ft plot on a relatives HUGE garden.
We're going to see the community site on Sunday, so obviously Ill find out more then but...
I dont mean to sound ungrateful and selfish,  :oops:
 Im wondering if the community garden scheme means that we grow as a group and harvest as a group.  Id really like to do my own thing for part of the space im offered anyway.  
Does anyone have any experience of a community garden? I know that schools and nurseries are invited to join in, and I love that idea..but is it not really a 'plot' as such?

Thanks all

The only experience we had was a relative ,along with others,who took over a piece of land (on a cul de sac opposite evryones house.)from the council. All went well for a while then it ended up the same person having to get the mower out. People were asked for so much money every week but only so many coughed up . Some wanted certain plants there and others hated them.You get the picture. Everybody wanted to look out on something lovely but no one wanted the work.When ppl were expected tp pitch in on sundays many were busy. In the end the council had it back.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

peapod

• Pea Goddess
community gardens
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 20:13 »
Well, I went down on Sunday and was offered 3 small (and I mean small!about 4ft by 8ft on one, the other two were 3ft by 8ft) beds :-) Could have been better, but I was happy to get a small start
Ive been today to pick up the keys, but they didnt get round to cutting one, and they have taken one of the beds off me already :-(
There seems to be lots of plans so far, which of course Im very happy to help with, but not a lot of action  :?
Its all a bit disheartening but maybe to early to tell, the thing is I was offered space for growing veg while waiting for a lotty, so they know the main reason why Im there :-(
Am i being petty? Please feel free to say yes, all input gratefully received

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
community gardens
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 21:08 »
My gut feeling is that you're right to be cautious.

If they've already gone back on their agreement to let you have 3 beds, by taking one back, I'd want to have a very clear understanding of what they envisage you doing with your space.

For example, is there to be a community theme over the whole space?  Would your veg fit in with that?  What else are you expected to do?  As you've mentioned before, do you have to share your produce with others?  

Other things to ponder which occur to me:
Will they take the view that you've got these 2 beds, therefore don't need a bigger allotment?  What did the chap say about putting you on a waiting list for the private site?  What is the security on this space like - if it's a community area, will others be able to pick your produce when you're not looking?

If you're content that the ground (no pun intended) rules are established, and that you're prepared to accept them, then I'd have thought that you probably don't have a lot to lose for the time being?  You get 2 small beds this season, which is more than you would otherwise have had.

If the rules or situation aren't acceptable, is this private allotment the only one in the area, or are there others - council or private - which would probably be ok if you had to go for them?

I guess none of us can weigh up the situation for you - but good luck whatever you decide to do!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Community Garden

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 16:50
by sunshineband
xx
Community Allotments

Started by RIKJD89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 18:54
by RIKJD89
xx
Compost from community site

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 08:29
by DD.
xx
Community Allotment Projects (CAPs)

Started by maxsalad on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 13, 2009, 09:19
by lucywil

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 39 queries.