sorting seeds

• 4 Replies

rowlandwells

sorting seeds
« on: November 11, 2021, 17:39 »
 as it was a dull and dismal day I decided to sort out all my seed packets for both veg and flowers so instead of fumbling through the packets of seed come sowing time i thought there must be an easier way of sorting seed

so after some thought i came up with this idea I sorted the seed in packs numbered each pack with about 10 packets per pack with  the variety the setting date and any other info needed for seed sowings and putting all that in a  seed log so when i needed to sow i could look at the seed log and know which pack had the variety together with listing full seed packets and part packets to use first

I did this for both veg and flower seed it took me quite a time to list all the seed packets I had collected over the years because some of the seed was getting out of date and needed using i probably used a full pack instead of using the open pack  ::)

anyway I ended up with 18 packs of seed and I having already ordered more for next season  hopefully with this system i can sow all the old seed before the new stock it may be the case that some of those old seed won't germinate though  :unsure:

I think I mite have enough seed to supply the village the wife asked me how many seed packets have you got only a few dear how many  >:(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: sorting seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 07:19 »
18 packs with 10 packets of seeds in each.  That is quite a collection  :lol:

No wonder you are being asked ‘How many ….’

It sounds like it was a lot of work but worth doing, especially with the seed log you have created to keep tabs on it all.  I should hide the seed catalogues now though unless you really want to catch it  :D

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 10:28 »
I have a seed excel spreadsheet which seems to work for me.
I record use by dates and whether the resulting crop was any good.

The one thing I have difficulty with is what to do with out of date seed.  Having the spreadsheet doesn't seem to stop me from buying nice new packets of interesting seeds.

I can't bring myself to throw old ones away and can't give them to friends.  I occasionally throw some into a pot to see what comes up, but other than that they just sit in their labelled drawers in the cellar.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 11:53 »
someone ells has been saying the same as you to me  n/s and yes I think I can keep taps on using up that old seed I'm  still looking at those seed catalogues not buying honest  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 12:03 »
I had a ruthless chuck-out of my various seeds which were out of date and those nearly so as some things didn't germinate very well this year. I thought it was worth doing it as it's a waste of time, effort and compost if they don't grow and then you've got to buy new seed which may not be in stock later on.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

lamp
Storing and sorting packets of seeds.

Started by Gill and Bry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2020, 19:30
by snowdrops
xx
Strawberries need sorting out

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 12:37
by surbie100
xx
Sorting the plot

Started by PhilCardiff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 17:38
by Hampshire Hog
xx
Sorting out my plot ?

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 23:55
by noshed

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 44 queries.