Tomato Blight

• 27 Replies

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Re: Tomato Blight
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 23:25 »
Grow some of the blight resistant strains now available.  There are one or two different ones, and I have had great crops without the need to cover or spray.

Agree with jaydig. I've grown Crimson Crush tomato from seed for three years with great crops and no blight.  This year Sutton's/Dobies have a new blight resistant cherry tomato out - Crimson Blush/Crimson Cocktail. I'm trialling that one this year as well.

Few growers on my allotment grow tomatoes because of blight. Crimson Crush seems to have solved the problem.
DSCN4490.JPG
DSCN4508.JPG
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 23:27 by juvenal »

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 05:53 »
Mr G ... do you live at Planet Thanet ?  :wacko:
Ha ha ha!

It all started as an anti-blight experiment several years ago, Auntie.

The main idea is that if we grow toms in several locations around the house (and also used to on 'The Patch', but not now), and also in the GH, If blight is flying around in one part of the garden, then it may well avoid another section!

Over the years, we've been proved pretty-well correct, with some toms getting hit, and others not touched at all - the GH ones usually being the last to get affected, and that was well after the season had peaked. In fact, last year's best crop came from a shaded front tray of five plants, which only got the early morning sun, and avoided the afternoon heat we had in late summer.

We also try to stick to standard varieties. This year it's 'Sungold', 'Shirley', 'San Marzano' and some own seed from a 'Mountain Magic' tom given to me by a chum two years ago. While we love the flavour and texture of  Heritage toms, they aren't as prolific as 'workhorse' varieties, so we tend to stay away from them now!

19 in pots and trays in the GH,
16 in pots and trays in front of the conservatory which get about seven hours sun,
16 in pots and trays in the shaded East-facing area as above, slightly shaded from lunchtime onwards.

All areas get a jumble of varieties. No favouritism, no special cases, no victims, plenty of encouragement, a "'Morning Chaps" welcome every day and lots of 'Tomorite' etc...:0)

jambop

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 11:07 »
Mr G ... do you live at Planet Thanet ?  :wacko:
Ha ha ha!

It all started as an anti-blight experiment several years ago, Auntie.

The main idea is that if we grow toms in several locations around the house (and also used to on 'The Patch', but not now), and also in the GH, If blight is flying around in one part of the garden, then it may well avoid another section!

Over the years, we've been proved pretty-well correct, with some toms getting hit, and others not touched at all - the GH ones usually being the last to get affected, and that was well after the season had peaked. In fact, last year's best crop came from a shaded front tray of five plants, which only got the early morning sun, and avoided the afternoon heat we had in late summer.

We also try to stick to standard varieties. This year it's 'Sungold', 'Shirley', 'San Marzano' and some own seed from a 'Mountain Magic' tom given to me by a chum two years ago. While we love the flavour and texture of  Heritage toms, they aren't as prolific as 'workhorse' varieties, so we tend to stay away from them now!

19 in pots and trays in the GH,
16 in pots and trays in front of the conservatory which get about seven hours sun,
16 in pots and trays in the shaded East-facing area as above, slightly shaded from lunchtime onwards.

All areas get a jumble of varieties. No favouritism, no special cases, no victims, plenty of encouragement, a "'Morning Chaps" welcome every day and lots of 'Tomorite' etc...:0)

Each to their own situation I suppose but it is only when you have tasted the tomato grown in the right conditions that you realise how poor they are grown in pots and greenhouses. Tomatoes such as San marzano, Roma and Marmande are an excellent examples of a tomato varieties bred for growing out in open ground in full sunshine to produce a tomato of size, colour and above all flavour. Of course I do realise that perhaps the UK is not the place to try this but you will not raise tomatoes like these growing them in a pot and that was fruit from only about ten trusses there is upwards of 15kg there
DSCN3435.JPG
DSCN1789 (800x600).jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 11:31 »
The climate in SW France is certainly a lot different to anywhere in the U.K.  Your tomatoes look delicious.

We often don’t get enough sun at the right time to ripen them well. 

jambop

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 11:40 »
The climate in SW France is certainly a lot different to anywhere in the U.K.  Your tomatoes look delicious.

We often don’t get enough sun at the right time to ripen them well.
It is indeed Aunt Sally... but do not be seduced into thinking that with the weather we get it is all plain sailing! The climate in the UK in general lets you grow vegs that are difficult to grow down here in summer. I am talking about thinks like peas, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and others that the heat just plays havoc with. Last year was incredible with weeks where the temperatures soared to the mid 40's C but I have to say it is a pleasant climate for the better part.

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 14:14 »
Oh, I don't know, Jambop...

These are grown in a mixture of pots with garden soil at the bottom and a topping of decent compost. The soil provides the 'earthy' taste, while the compost contains some nutrients as well as a water-saving measure! We've been growing them like this for years!

These are from a couple of years ago, from the garden pots and 'The Patch', and were just one-day's picking...

And the old ice-cream tubs just kept filling most days!
Toms 2014.jpg

jambop

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 17:47 »
Oh, I don't know, Jambop...

These are grown in a mixture of pots with garden soil at the bottom and a topping of decent compost. The soil provides the 'earthy' taste, while the compost contains some nutrients as well as a water-saving measure! We've been growing them like this for years!

These are from a couple of years ago, from the garden pots and 'The Patch', and were just one-day's picking...

And the old ice-cream tubs just kept filling most days!
I don't want to be rude but those would go nowhere near my kitchen or table that is compost heap material when it comes to tomatoes.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 19:46 »

Ooooo.... first time I've heard that idea. Might give that a try on some of mine this year...

wighty

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 20:18 »
We don't get a  lot of blight here.  Is it because we have a lot of wind directions affecting the Island?  The last time was about five years (?) ago when we had that hot summer and then a sudden wet spell.  In our valley we have several(more than that but I can't think how to say more) greenhouses growing tomatoes. We went to one of their open days and  they are huge, have their own reservoirs,  make their own compost etc.  The bit that annoys me, they are shipped to a central        place on the mainland and then some come back to the Island and are sold in our supermarkets as 'support your local suppliers'.  We can't buy direct from them.

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 20:27 »

Ooooo.... first time I've heard that idea. Might give that a try on some of mine this year...

Works a treat at 'The Turrets', PPL, has done for years!

This year, it was garden soil up to 5", then some 'Jack's Magic', just to top it all off, and start off the nascent nutrient feeding! Feeding toms at rooting stage is always a bit hit and miss, depending on the climate, watering etc. The jury's out as to the best way to produce a perfect crop, as tap (bottom) roots and fibrous (top) roots behave differently.

The toms here have been sown in the same compost, so are very happy with that, and also, it saves a few quid using what you've bred over the years in your garden, by not using quite an expensive chunk of compost in the bottom of the pots, when you have most of what you need already at home!

We also get quite a few worms thriving in the pots after a while, so when they're turned out at the end of the season, they get a holiday as well!

Mind you, I don't know whether worms like a dose of comfrey/6x tea as well, (never asked them), but I'll usually stand back when I empty the pots...;0)

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 20:37 »
We don't get a  lot of blight here.  Is it because we have a lot of wind directions affecting the Island?  The last time was about five years (?) ago when we had that hot summer and then a sudden wet spell.  In our valley we have several(more than that but I can't think how to say more) greenhouses growing tomatoes. We went to one of their open days and  they are huge, have their own reservoirs,  make their own compost etc.  The bit that annoys me, they are shipped to a central        place on the mainland and then some come back to the Island and are sold in our supermarkets as 'support your local suppliers'.  We can't buy direct from them.

Wighty, that is very interesting!

If you're getting mainly south-eastern winds, which are warmer, and possibly more water-laden, then, you're possibly less likely to get blight (?), but you maybe have more salt and humidity?

Here, in the South East, the weather has usually sorted itself out after several miles of Sussex and Hampshire, so we maybe just a little more stable! Not being a metsiyiolof - meteorilogism, not being skilled in the weather patterns, I can't comment, but you make a good point on what happens on a small island surrounded by sea!

missmoneypenny

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2020, 12:10 »
Not wishing to stir the pot and I fully realise Bordeaux mix is banned. But in Jambops defence, it is readily available in France. I go there every year ( agricultural area) and you can pick it up in the supermarket, in gardening shops etc. In the 10 years I’ve had an allotment, there’s only been one blight free year, 2018 with record heat. Was I tempted to bring some Bordeaux back from my last trip....

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 12:14 »
I realise that, Missmoneypenny.

I have locked this topic now as we are far off of the topic and it is no longer useful advice.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Tomato blight again ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 13:25
by Aunt Sally
xx
Tomato Blight ..... Again(sorry)

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2009, 11:03
by madcat
clip
Have I been hit by tomato blight?

Started by Hobovore on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2019, 10:20
by JayG

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 46 queries.