Hi everyone! Would love some newbie advice if possible?

• 15 Replies

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Hi everyone! Would love some newbie advice if possible?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 21:23 »
Hi everyone - just joined the forum and felt I had to add my two penn'orth. I have also just acquired an allotment that the previous owner had regularly dug over then left to weeds, so I think i am in almost exactly the same position as Jaberwalky. 

I momentarily balked at the enormity of the task soon after I agreed to take on the plot but I got a great book from the library - 'How to Plant Your Allotment' by Caroline Foley - which understands such dilemmas. I can't offer growing advice, but one thing she did say which I intend to follow is - don't try to do everything at once. Ignore TV makeover shows and the Sunday supplements and go at a steady pace. The book even recommends devising a 2 to 4 year plan depending on the original state, gradually bring it into production as you go.

I'm hoping to finish digging over and leveling my plot this weekend then laying over weed membrane whilst I work out where the beds are going to go. I hope to get some brassicas in before the end of summer to at least get something started.

Sounds like you have your plot under control already anyway, so good luck and enjoy!!
Welcome to you too Dody!

xx
Love, Love, Love International Kidney Potatoes "Terroir

Started by johnnyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 16:14
by DD.
xx
Love, love, love - International Kidney Potato

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 12:45
by DD.
xx
Newbie - advice please

Started by Suziet8 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2015, 21:22
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 14:44
by fletcherbaker

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 34 queries.