Peas all gone!

• 4 Replies

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
Peas all gone!
« on: August 02, 2016, 21:46 »
I had a lovely looking patch of peas a day or two ago. Had been watching and watering and they were nearly ready. I went to pick them today and they had all gone. Nothing left at all. Just the stalks where the pods joined the plant. There are a (very) few not yet filled pods left. But anything with peas in it has disappeared. This has never happened before. Does anyone have any idea what has taken them? I'm guessing mice or voles but have no real idea. Thanks for any advice.

oldgrunge

Re: Peas all gone!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 22:05 »
I think I would be looking at something much larger, and probably with fewer legs! 😄😄😄
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:31 »
Nothing left at all. Just the stalks where the pods joined the plant. There are a (very) few not yet filled pods left. But anything with peas in it has disappeared.

I'm not speaking as someone experienced at growing peas - but I tend to agree with oldgrunge... your thief sounds like a two-legged one!

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 13:37 »
Thanks for your replies which made me smile as, yes that does seem obvious. Except that I live in the middle of nowhere.
I found one little pod still attached today with what looks like tiny teeth marks and no pea. Has anyone else experienced this? If it is mice or voles any ideas for protecting the next patch? Unfortunately the cat won't wait there all night!

madcat

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 14:53 »
Mice have certainly taken some of mine, but not cleared the lot.  :ohmy: That is one conscientious mouse, or family of mice!  They do wait till the peas are just right.  My solution has been to avoid the battle and grow sugar snaps or mange touts.  Wimp?  Possibly.   :)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
peas

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2012, 15:33
by Trillium
xx
peas sir can i have more!

Started by fish on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 08, 2007, 21:20
by jessegee

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 33 queries.