Jcll123

Blight in tomato
« on: August 15, 2015, 19:26 »
Hi all
I seem to have a blight kind of thing in my tomato's
They have gone all mouldy and died back
On advise from a neighbour I have pulled them out and burnt
Was this blight and was this the best thing to do
Any help would be appreciated as this was in the front garden and I have more in the back that don't seem to be affected
Regards julian

Growster...

Re: Blight in tomato
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:34 »
I think you'll need to post a picture, Julian, but the symptoms you describe could well mean late blight.

You may be able to save the other plants by spraying them with either Bordeaux Mixture if you're not squeamish about chemicals, or soluble aspirin - one or two per pint, as they have a similar effect.

We work on your principle of growing several toms in different places, as we find that they do react differently in each location!

Good luck anyway!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:31 »
Do the leaves look blighted? I have had a few toms go like that which was due to blossom end rot, but the leaves are lovely and green so don't think mine had blight.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 18:25 »
This is what blooming blight looks like...   >:(

and:

That's what one of the plots had been hit by when I did a quick tour an hour ago. I checked my toms then and a few early signs were there. I've now got a carrier bag full of green toms. Doubt I'll have time to turn them into chutney - only hope is ripening on window sill. Is it worth washing them to see if I can get rid of any surface spores?

Pip damnation pip,
Balders

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 18:28 »
I think you'd only spread the spores around  :unsure:

Those without the brown patches should be ok, to ripen - make sure you spread them out a bit ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 18:51 »
Bad luck Balders.  That is not a sight you want to see on your allotment site  :(

I've used campden tablets before now to make a washing solution for green fruit off blighted toms.  I'm not sure if it worked, or just made me feel better, but I did manage to ripen almost all the green fruit I picked.  Any that started looking iffy got chucked straight away.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 09:10 »
Yes, bad luck Balders.  :(

I've had to ripen tomatoes off the plant many times either due to blight or running out of summer - any that have not reached their normal size and are still dark green are unlikely to ripen, but just putting the others in a plastic tray on a sunny windowsill seems to work well.

Stacking them in more than a single layer helps them to help each other ripen, but you will then need to be extra vigilant removing any duff looking ones (usually a brownish discolouration of the flesh.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:59 »
I've only grown 12 tomatoes this year all in buckets scattered around the garden. Just been out and found one has blight so I'm hoping that some of the others will escape. There is a hedge between the blighted one and most of the others.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
tomato blight again

Started by jd67stella on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 16:06
by Mr Rotavator
xx
Tomato blight?

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 12:34
by diggerjoe
xx
Tomato Blight

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 16:42
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 36 queries.