Greens

• 3 Replies

Chicken Pete

Greens
« on: May 09, 2011, 19:19 »
This may be a silly question but can chickens have to much of greens? have been giving them our sprouting broc plants from the allotment 1 or 2 a day but over recent days they have not shown any interest in them!! Is too much not good for them?

8doubles

Re: Greens
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 19:31 »
Long answer.
My 3 hens were eating one broc plant a day when i cleared the plot , one hen did get a bit 'loose' and did not eat any pre roost corn when i put a particularly large plant in .
The hen in question is an eating machine and would not stop till the broccoli was gone.

Short answer yes. :)

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 23:53 »
It seems to be a matter of a variety of greens in moderation: weeds, veg trimmings, treats like grapes - but not too much of anything , because their diet needs to be balanced.

On the other hand, don't stop feeding some greenstuff as it's good for them, they love it and it helps to keep them busy.

Our girls love a bucket of weeds with roots and all - keeps them picking around for ages so they don't bicker or escape.
ManicMum

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 00:20 »
My chickens range around the lawn full time and I'm always amazed at the volume of greenery they eat in a day.  Sometimes I sprinkle a handful of grain around and they will peck a few bits of grain then carry on grazing on plants.

I think the key thing here is that our lawn is what my OH likes to call a "biodiversity reservoir."  In other words it's full of every kind of grass and weed you can imagine.  ::)  The chickens pick and choose what they want to eat.  They eat different plants at different times of day, and in different seasons.

So I would suggest there's no such thing as "too much greenery."  It's more a case of "too much of one kind of greenery."  The more variety you can offer them the better.

xx
They won't eat their greens

Started by cammi on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 23:00
by Pertelotte
xx
greens?

Started by adi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 17:41
by SarahJC
xx
Too many Greens?

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 19:45
by joyfull
xx
Greens

Started by cudders on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 20, 2007, 23:38
by Fat Hen

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 35 queries.