Pound shop fruit bushes?

• 10 Replies

Loubs

• Experienced Member
Pound shop fruit bushes?
« on: January 12, 2010, 21:56 »
Local pound shops & 99p shops are starting to get gardening stuff in - picked up 2 things -  blackcurrent and blueberry bush cuttings. They were so cheap I have some doubts that they'll come to much - but at 99p thought I'd give them a go in my back garden in pots for a year  - if they take, will transfer to the allotment  next year. The boxes feel like they've got a bit of weight to them, so compost can't be too dried out...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pound shop fruit bushes?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 22:00 »
Well I got a cheapo goosegog last year and it grew really well, hoping for fruit this year if I can thwart the dreaded sawfly >:(

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 23:06 »
Local pound shops & 99p shops are starting to get gardening stuff in - picked up 2 things -  blackcurrent and blueberry bush cuttings. They were so cheap I have some doubts that they'll come to much - but at 99p thought I'd give them a go in my back garden in pots for a year  - if they take, will transfer to the allotment  next year. The boxes feel like they've got a bit of weight to them, so compost can't be too dried out...
  Ditto - we must remember to report back at the end of the season to see whether they were successful

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 03:53 »
Last year at our equivalent of pound shop, I got quite a few of the silver twirly 6 ft tomato stakes which you wind the main tomato stem around as it grows. I recently watched a number of French veg gardening bits on U Tube and was quite amused to find almost all the French gardens had the same twirly stakes - but they tied their toms to the stakes!  :lol: Rather defeats the purpose of the twirl.

Our stores are just stocking gardening supplies and I think this year I'll get 4 more knee pads to keep scattered around the garden so I don't have to keep going to the garage to look for the one I currently have.

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 15:02 »
In the last couple of years I have bought a red dessert gooseberry bush & a rhubarb crown cheap in Wilkos, both have done extremely well  :D  Today we went to the local garden centre to check out the seed potatoes & onion sets & just a general look around, came back with a Gardenia plant that was reduced from £9.99 to £2 & with my £1 off vouchers only cost me £1...okay so it doesn't have any flowers on it now but....it is very green & healthy looking & on close inspection has about 5 buds of different sizes forming  :D  I figured for a  £1 what had I got to lose.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 15:32 »
Gardenias are lovely but don't water it with tap water..........it is too chalky for it :ohmy:
I used to water my one with distilled water :)

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 15:49 »
Thanks for that advice Mumofstig, I noticed it was a bit dry so watered it earlier with water from our water barrel which I keep in doors in a small watering can for watering my orchids so hopefully it will be fine with that.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 17:54 »
I find rain water superior to distilled which is void of all trace elements. I water only the outdoor bushes with it as I have lots to get rid of from our basement dehumidifier and its a shame to throw it down the drain.

Ropster

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 16:53 »
I picked up a couple of packets of golden gourmet shallots from my local pound shop, 350g each

madcat

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 18:58 »
I've just picked up my red baron sets.  Wilkos were out, so I grabbed these while they were available.  Okay, 30p per kilo more expensive than wilkos, but 2 bags in the hand better than .... :blink:  Oh you know what I mean!   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Cazzy

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 08:33 »
I got a gooseberry and a blueberry from the pound shop last year.  The gooseberry was fine but the blueberry remained twigs.

I'm gonna try a couple more this year, see how they go.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

xx
Pound Shop

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 14:51
by MJS
xx
the pound shop rocks

Started by chrissie B on Frugal Living

22 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 10:14
by kezlou
xx
I succumbed to the lure of the pound shop

Started by fluffypebble on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 03:00
by sclarke624
xx
2-for-1 fruit bushes

Started by ytyynycefn on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post February 13, 2007, 14:58
by ytyynycefn

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 29 queries.