Strawberry Planter

• 20 Replies

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Strawberry Planter
« on: April 16, 2007, 16:55 »
Wanted one, but even a plastic planter costs silly money.  Anyway, was surfing the NET for ideas and found this one.  Take four pots, each one a bit smaller than the other - fill them and stack them - looks like a water feature, with space round each to plant the strawberries, and the smallest pot just big enough for one plant.  Smear the bottom, largest pot with vaseline to deter the slugs and snails, and Bob's your Uncle! This may sound complicated, but NOT as complicated as Muntjac's ice hockey runner bean supports - I'm still trying to get my head round that !!! Perhaps it's cos I'm left handed.
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Strawberry Planter
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 17:03 »
Hi Jeannie, if munty's runner beans supports are a bit complicated for you, try my way.  It is very windy here in Lincolnshire so all I do is push 6 long canes into the ground in a circle, tie them all together at the top to make a wigwam and put a bean in the ground next to each cane.  I space the canes about 6 inches apart round the circle.

i haven't lost any to the winds yet!

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Strawberry Planter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 17:06 »
Cor, that was a quick reply, thanks GrannieAnnie. I can get my mind round a wigwam (pardon the pun)- a great idea for our windy NE coastal allotment.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Strawberry Planter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 17:10 »
There's usually someone trawling the forum at most times Jeannie, so most questions get at least 1 answer pretty quick.  mind you, as you will see on here a lot, ask 4 gardeners a question and you will get 6 answers!!!!  

So you just look at all the answers, then decide what's best for you.  If it doesn't work, next year comes round very quickly!!!!   :lol:  :lol:

But I do like the wigwams, they are far easier to erect than most other forms of support.

purplebat

Re: Strawberry Planter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 17:27 »
Quote from: "Jeanieblue"
Wanted one, but even a plastic planter costs silly money.  Anyway, was surfing the NET for ideas and found this one.  Take four pots, each one a bit smaller than the other - fill them and stack them - looks like a water feature, with space round each to plant the strawberries, and the smallest pot just big enough for one plant.  Smear the bottom, largest pot with vaseline to deter the slugs and snails, and Bob's your Uncle! This may sound complicated, but NOT as complicated as Muntjac's ice hockey runner bean supports - I'm still trying to get my head round that !!! Perhaps it's cos I'm left handed.

any chance of a pic jeanie? I can't quite picture it; I'm one of those who need to see something otherwise you never what you'll get! :lol:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

WG.

Strawberry Planter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 17:35 »
What stops it blowing over Jeanieblue ?

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
Strawberry Planter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 21:06 »
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/426720368_aaad0db36e.jpg

like this?  this is what my nan has done for her flowers in the front garden....

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Strawberry Planter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 21:17 »
I like that idea ! might just use it on my front this year JB thanks,
To deter slugs wrap some copper wire around your bottom pot, I've done it on our picnic bench, which is home to my brassica seedlings and have no nibbled leaves at all yet.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

purplebat

Strawberry Planter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 21:55 »
aaah! 'tis clear now; I like that idea, I've wanted to grow strawberries bat a. can't be bothered with the straw/matting and b. couldn't afford the proper planters, thank you, this solves both  :D
p.s. do they have to be terracotta pots or would plastic ones work as well?

fluffypebble

Strawberry Planter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 21:56 »
I like it, thanks for sharing.

Such a good idea and should be a hell of a lot cheaper than conventional planters - looks good too.
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

cozzcov

Strawberry Planter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 22:06 »
I did this with a friend last year, but only with 3 pots, each getting smaller in diameter, put a garden cane through the  drainage hole in each to link them together and keep it all a bit more stable, used old recycled terracotta pots too for that 'cottagey' look.  Strawberries cascading down all summer were heavenly.  (Especially in a salad, sliced with  sliced cucumber and mint from a next door pot)

Give it a try, I only have a small garden so need things to look appealling as well as being practical.

cozzcov

Strawberry Planter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 20:19 »
pic of one added to the allotment album - gives an idea of what you can do.

Allotment Angel

Strawberry Planter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 13:21 »
Love the pot tiered strawberry planter!  Mine isn't so pretty but am hoping it will be just as successful.  I have a tyre repair garage behind our allotments and they've let me have some old tyres.  (I'm trying the stacked tyres with potatoes in them which somone suggested a while back)  I now have two tyres filled with some lovely strawberry plants which someone on our allotment very kindly gave me a couple of weeks back.  Will try and post a picture when we get some strawberries. :D

purplebat

Strawberry Planter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 13:23 »
did you cut them and turn them inside out to make a tub?

Allotment Angel

Strawberry Planter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 13:29 »
No, I believe there's quite an art to getting that right though.  Don't you need the steel wheel as well to do that?  Was all the rage in the 80's I seem to remember.

xx
How to turn a pallet into a planter....

Started by Sweetpea C on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 06:24
by RJR_38
xx
Potato planter offer T&M

Started by New shoot on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 20:44
by Jodie A
xx
10 Free strawberry plant - just P&P

Started by weezyorange on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 13:54
by scabs
xx
£1 strawberry plants from Lidl

Started by lettice on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 10:48
by GraciesGran

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 36 queries.