Mini dripper watering systems

• 20 Replies

noshed

« on: February 28, 2007, 22:14 »
Wilkos!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

shaun

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 22:21 »
whats one of those ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Mysteryjimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 22:57 »
I picked up 3 large drip watering kits off ebay for £33.  225ft of tubing which i shall be running of a raised water butt in the dry season so i can go on holiday

noshed

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 10:35 »
It's 25m of mini hose with dripper things you attach along the length. Then you attach it to a big water container and it waters yer greenhouse when you're not there. Wilkos have them for £6 or so.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:47 »
*.  I just bought a similar (but slightly more complicated) kit from B&Q for twenty quid...  It's got 36 drippers, and allegedly the same flow rate to each due to a clever combination of pipe diameters.

Still, it would cost me a few quid to get to a Wilko's, so no big thing!

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 17:37 »
I used to have a drip emittor system, but the ends kept clogging up, especially from the slightest calcium buildup from the water or dirt working it's way in. Have switched to a soaker hose that you snake around the plants needing water and bury just under the ground surface to extend life. Runs on a timer to very slowly leak out water over an 8 hr time period and penetrate deeply. Needs watering only once every week or 2 depending on drought. Much happier with this system - nothing to clog up on me.  8)

Gurder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 18:12 »
Thans for the heads up  :D I will nip into my local Wilkos and have look see if they have them.
Piscatorial junkie

Mysteryjimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 18:47 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
I used to have a drip emittor system, but the ends kept clogging up, especially from the slightest calcium buildup from the water or dirt working it's way in. Have switched to a soaker hose that you snake around the plants needing water and bury just under the ground surface to extend life. Runs on a timer to very slowly leak out water over an 8 hr time period and penetrate deeply. Needs watering only once every week or 2 depending on drought. Much happier with this system - nothing to clog up on me.  8)

Calcium? I'm assuming thats from the tap?  I thought rain water from a butt was pretty much pure

Ann

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 18:58 »
Can anyone recommend something for pots, our tomatoes are always planted out in pots and it would be good to have a water suply to them when we are away

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 20:37 »
our nearest wilkos is probably 150 miles away. First time in one, was about two weeks ago in B'ham. It is cheap. But as with pub chains if they came down here they would put there prices up to match all the other elevated prices we pay.
always have a target
and an objective.

shaun

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 21:29 »
just rigged something similar up for my elderly friend the greenhouse guy,
hes got a water supply in his greenhouse so i tapped into this and connected it to a small header tank via a ball valve,into this i draped some capillary matting (its about 2m long)
so as the matting absorbs the water the tank fills its self via the ball valve.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 22:27 »
Rain water is pure, Mysteryjimbo, but I'm on a well which has no water restrictions, so I use tap water. Unfortunately most of Ontario has very hard water (heavy on the calcium) so it plugs a lot of stuff up, including kettles, dishwashers, etc despite water softeners. We also have pretty bad midge problems here and standing water of any sort is severely frowned on as midge breeding ground (West Nile Virus). You either keep things empty or the government will come along and spray for you and charge! Got hold of some fresh horse droppings last summer and put it into a bucket of water to make manure tea. Lifted the lid a few days later and it was full of midge eggs. Even without all these problems, I prefer the soaker hose. Whenever the mice or cats stepped on the old emitters, I'd have to reset the positions - too much wasted time!   :x

noshed

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 10:48 »
Last year the 99p shop had soaker hose - I wish I'd bought a couple, they don't seem to have them now.

tim50stroud

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 10:45 »
Quote from: "shaun"
just rigged something similar up for my elderly friend the greenhouse guy,
hes got a water supply in his greenhouse so i tapped into this and connected it to a small header tank via a ball valve,into this i draped some capillary matting (its about 2m long)
so as the matting absorbs the water the tank fills its self via the ball valve.

I got a tiny reservoir and capillary mat for a stageing tray with a Torbeck valve from Two Wests but the valve keeps jamming and overflowing. Its fed from mains and has the pressure reducer fitted. I think I need a bigger reseroir tank so i can put in a conventional lever arm valve; any thoughts?

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 11:11 »
i have a hose with a sprinkler head attached  :roll:
still alive /............

xx
Mini Greenhouse

Started by sando8901 on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 20:05
by CHRISDONOHUE
xx
Mini Cloches

Started by 2peasinapod on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 15:34
by gillian62
xx
Mini greenhouses

Started by noshed on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 20:28
by Beanzie
xx
mini greenhouse from junk

Started by grendel on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 09:04
by operabunny

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.