What could one use this for?

• 15 Replies

meriad

What could one use this for?
« on: January 07, 2019, 13:25 »
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Welded-Panels-Galvanised-Steel-Sheets/dp/B00LW0RD0M/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1546866863&sr=1-1&keywords=2+Pack+Welded+Wire+Mesh+Panels+2.4m+x+1.2+%288ft+x+4ft%29+Galvanised+Steel+Grid+Sheets+50mm+%2F+2%22+Holes+-+Fencing%2C+Custom+Cages%2C+Security
not sure how I got things so horrendously wrong, but I ordered this in error.  I was sure I clicked on something that was smaller and PVC coated, but alas...  this turned up (not to self, I really should be wearing my reading glasses more often!)

I checked with the supplier and as it'd be a £10 charge to return them I said I'd maybe try sell them first and she said that apparently allotment people may be interested.  Bearing in mind that I have an allotment I am at a slight loss what one would / could use them for?  The only thing I could think of is cut them to size to cover the raised beds I have to prevent animals from getting at whatever may be growing, but think that may be a bit cumbersome and then how would I fasten them so they're easy to lift but an animal can't get under them / push them up?

Can anyone think of other uses?  Thank you!

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Re: What could one use this for?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 13:50 »
I acquired a couple of these when my plot neighbour gave up his plot and bequeathed me anything I could make us of.
The cucumbers I had them long ways with a metal stake tied at either end and Sweet Peas vertically with long cans at an angle either side.
I have used them for crowing Cucumbers and Sweet peas up and they also come in very handy for pretexting brassicas from those pesky Pigeons.

How many did you order?

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 13:55 »
You could climb peas and beans up them, but would take some untangling when finished! Or use them in the greenhouse to tie tom's etc to, rather than the mass of canes and string that I end up using!

Or, make a leaf-mould bin perhaps.
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

meriad

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 15:00 »
Thanks both - two very good ideas and definitely makes me glad I asked.

Enfield Glen - I've got two panels (which is more than enough  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 15:23 »
Look up a munty frame on here, would be good for that, otherwise any where you want some trellising or order more & make a fruit cage

(edited the frame name for search purposes)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 17:03 by mumofstig »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 22:44 »
I agree -climbing plants!
Or if you have bolt cutters, chop them down and use them as storage bins (might need bending) or bed edging.

meriad

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 13:55 »
Look up a munty frame on here, would be good for that,
Never heard of that so just looked it up - how interesting.   But one question that came up and I couldn't quite figure out what the final decision was - if there is one that is....   can you keep growing beans in the same spot or does the frame need to be movable? 

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 14:06 »
Ah, good question. There was some discussion about this a while ago and from memory some people said they grow beans for a few years in one spot. So I'm trying it myself, (but my frame can also be moved if needs be). I'm also going to try growing strawberries under the frame, at the same time.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 14:12 »
I made my Munty frame from angle iron, so it's been in the same spot for, um, 8 years or so with no problems with the  runnerbean crop, although I do try to use new soil to cover up the bean trench each year.

Not sure about growing strawberries underneath it unless you're sure the beans won't shade them too much - I grow various lettuces under mine which don't mind a bit of shade.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 14:25 »
Good point. I thought about this, and decided it should be ok as it gets full sun (under the frame) from around 10.30am onwards. If not, then I'll resort to growing dwarf beans under there again, as they did really well last year. It was quite a nice little beanfest in and around the frame!

madcat

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 09:22 »
Mine also has been (pun intended!) in the same place for 8 plus years without trouble.  The bean trench brings in a lot of good nutrients each year and they don't seem to suffer soil diseases.  Underneath gets salads and last year the shallots were happy there.  They are out before picking time gets really going and dont seem to mind the bit of shade from the (climbing) french bean leaves.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 14:51 »
These make excellent rabbit-proof fencing , dug into the ground about 20cm

I am glad I am not the only one who has a surprise when orders arrive... there was the occasion I bought a piece of Perspex the exact size to replace the broken shed window, only to find when it turned up that the measurements given were in mmm, not cm

I still have that (quite small) piece on the desk at home with a potted plant sat on it as a reminder to read things properly  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

meriad

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 16:38 »
I am glad I am not the only one who has a surprise when orders arrive... there was the occasion I bought a piece of Perspex the exact size to replace the broken shed window, only to find when it turned up that the measurements given were in mmm, not cm

I still have that (quite small) piece on the desk at home with a potted plant sat on it as a reminder to read things properly  :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:     I'm picturing the people who cut the perspex for you; they must have been wondering what it was going to be used for.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 18:37 »
Perfect for compost heaps! You can make them fit any size after cutting of course!

Just join the corners with wire, wound round - an old coat hanger cut into four is ample for this!

Elaine G

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 23:55 »

[/quote]

I have a picture on my wall of myself, my husband and 2 of the grandchildren, a gift from our daughter (their auntie) She confused cm with mm, and was shocked at how big it was when it arrived  :lol:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 41 queries.