Weeds!!!

• 10 Replies

Sativa

Weeds!!!
« on: May 30, 2010, 02:22 »
Hi all !

My plot is a little overrun with weeds particularly marestail and thistle and the parts of the garden I won't be using I was thinking of covering with a black plastic membrane but was told at the garden shop this would not be suffice but I beg to differ! Any of you more experienced gardeners advise?

ps I am keeping it organic so no chemicals allowed!!!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Weeds!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:33 »
marestail is really hard to kill but i did read somewhere recently that a  heavy planting of nasturtiums helps to get rid of it, i have to say i have my doubts but at least it would look preety!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 09:07 »
Lucywil is right that it's practically impossible to kill and I doubt that membrane would have a permanent effect.  After all, it can grow through concrete  :ohmy:

That being said, if your membrane is sufficiently heavy duty, it will keep the weeds down and make your plot less likely to receive warning letters while you work on other parts of it!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Will1983

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 20:16 »
the only non chemical method I've heard about beating mares tail is to just keep pulling it up every time you see it come up.. The theory being that it weakens the plant to the point that it just runs out of steam..

If that fails it may have to be glyphosate (Roundup). If you do, make sure you stamp on the spears before spraying it as mares tail has a waxy coating that has to be broken up so the chemical can be absorbed.

Glyphosate despite being a chemical is usually considered the least 'non-organic' of the weed killers if there is such a thing.

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 20:22 »
Luckily we have never had a garden with mares tail in.  However my Mum's garden used to be inundated with the stuff.  I believe she has got rid of it, not with chemicals but hard work and she is in her 80's!  Every time it comes through she kept digging it out.
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 20:37 »
If you are near enough to a kettle, boil it and trickle boiling water down stems. Then nip off heads - you need to see the stem to get just that bit below ground. Takes time, is better than matrimonial pots and pans  :D has to be done regularly and for some reason weakens the stuff. Bit at a time. No good as a solution if you are down an allotment with no power. But seems to work round house (suspect it's the regular taking off the heads that controls it but there you go).

Sounds an odd solution but I've seen it have good effect.

Babstreefern

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 23:00 »
Nasturtiams don't work :(.  I grew them last year, and the marestail still came up :mad:.  They will grow anywhere >:(.  They will even grow through membrane.  Although you could try spraying with weedkiller then cover for for the whole of the summer, and then dig over in late Autumn ready for next year's planting.  But personally, weeds are weeds, they will grow whatever and whenever :blink:
Babs

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 23:01 »
Oh and by the way, nastutiums will keep coming back year and after - so think on what you plant to get rid of a problem, you could end up with another problem :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 23:13 »
I'm lucky not to have to put up with marestail or convulvulus in my garden but sometimes I think that just makes room for more other types of weeds!

I've noticed how the varieties of weeds has changed over the years; some are familiar and ever-present (grass, chickweed and dandelions to name but 3) but some I don't remember from a few years back (hairy bittercress springs to mind and if you have ever seen one of their seedpods explode you'll know how they manage to spread so quickly and widely!)

One new one is entirely my fault; I allowed a feverfew to grow to maturity last year because I liked the profusion of flowers it produced.
I don't know where it came from but I now know where it's going (Everywhere!!!)  :(  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 21:19 »
Nasturtiums, a problem  :ohmy:  Pretty flowers in your plot and in your salads and the seeds are a good substitute for capers.

digalotty

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 21:33 »
if you can dig back and follow the mairstail back and get the root out its the best way but if you cant just keep cutting the head off
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
angry
WEEDS.......

Started by Ozwytch on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 09:45
by azubah
xx
Best way to rot down weeds?

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2011, 18:00
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 39 queries.