Chillies

• 7 Replies

Florablunder

Chillies
« on: June 15, 2015, 21:50 »
Got a chilli plant a few months' ago and it is growing happily on the kitchen windowsill. Thing is, there are several chillies on it now, one is a couple of inches long, but they are all staying green. Yet the label says it is a red chilli plant. Can anyone tell me how long it should take for the chillies to change colour?
Thanks!

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Chillies
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 22:35 »
It varies. I grow my chillies outdoors and they didn't start going red till September time last year. Once the first one started turning they all began turning pretty quickly. Is it getting enough sun? Also you should start feeding it with a high potash feed once a week now that it has fruits.

LotuSeed

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 01:33 »
I've never had one turn red on the plant, it takes too long. LOL It's still fairly early in the season yet and I wouldn't expect to see them changing color until closer to season end. Lots of them change color after they're picked and left to dry.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:24 »
Putting bananas near them helps to ripen them but as has already been mentioned it is early days yet  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:45 »
Chillies don't start changing colour until they are full size, so if your plant has chillies that grow to around two inches, that one is probably there now. I have a plant on the windowsill that happily fruits away, and chillies do ripen to red eventually, but it can take a few weeks. They all start off green, and you can of course use them like that if you like.

Just keep feeding the plant and it will keep flowering for you  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:20 »
I'm growing chillis properly for the first time this year - I know - what HAVE I been doing?...I can't remember the variety name but apparently the taste heats up as they get redder - so if you like them NOT to burn your face off - pick them green. This all depends on variety though, I imagine.   8)
Carpe Diem

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 13:08 »
I think, as a rule, chillis will get hotter as they ripen. That's not to say they can't be very hot when green, but I haven't yet encountered a variety that gets milder!

OP - be patient. My plants have just started producing flowers and I still expect to get a decent harvest. You'll end up with a glut at the end of the summer, at which point my advice is to freeze them.
Never stop learning

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 15:18 »
It can take a while for them to turn red, although I've got red ones on a plant now that overwintered on a windowsill and ripened them in March.  They ripen green - brown -red,  so don't be alarmed when they start turning brown, in this case it's a good sign! G&R
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 15:19 by Gardener and Rabbit »

xx
Chillies

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2017, 11:38
by jambop
xx
Big Jim Chillies

Started by crilly on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 07:08
by crilly
xx
How are your chillies doing?

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 22:40
by oldcow
xx
Chillies

Started by simpson-allen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 08:45
by rainbow1

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 34 queries.