Hello there,

• 6 Replies

teal

Hello there,
« on: May 30, 2012, 22:07 »
We bought 3 POL chucks at easter, things were going well till 2 weeks ago when 1 got sour crop,  we googled and done what was suggested, no wonder they call it sour crop !!   Thing is she has it again, HELP please

grinling

Re: Hello there,
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 16:55 »
How are you feeding her? Do not give them grass cuttings, but let them pluck the grass themselves. Is she doing alright now?

kegs

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 18:07 »
How is she today Teal?  Here's the info you need on sour crop.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.0

teal

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 20:43 »
Hi, thanks for replys,   we never give them grass but they come out sometimes on the grass.
We feed them layers pellets, grit  available, greens and grapes now & then.  She is looking a bit better today even layed a egg after 2 weeks, her crop is still big but she's not doing that awful swallowing action. She is in a large dog cage at the mo,

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:46 »
If she has only occasional access to grass does she 'stuff' herself at those times? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 10:21 »
Hello...
I had my first case of sour crop a few months ago because the chooks got onto the compost heap and gorged themselves on apples - so now I'm definitely more cautious about giving them too much fruit.  I wasn't able to get her to regurgitate so it was a trip to the vets and a week of tablet form antibiotics and keeping her removed from the others so we could keep an eye on her and encourage her to eat with a syringe. She recovered and has been fine ever since but I think I read somewhere that once they've had it, they can be more prone in future?

teal

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 14:29 »
Thanks guys,  i wouldn't say she gorges on grass Sassy, they only come out for a hour. I like your snag  " experience is what you get " etc.   My hubby is well P eed off and said he's getting rid.  Its costing time & money  LOL   Just had another go at massaging  her but no joy.
No more grapes Cattin,  they do gorge on them.   See what happens tomorrow, oh and she laid a egg after her massage.

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 39 queries.