anyone recommend a rotavator

• 26 Replies

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 21:11 »
I have spent 30years + using small rotovators. and recently due to this site and the fact I now have a good few rotovators I have given a great deal of thought to which one is best. In my mind you cannot bet the honda for reliability ie ease of starting. I think the main question is tiller or cultivator (merry tiller or Howard). The tiller if you have a small plot offers good digging at good depth. All other operations can be done with a rake and a hoe. A big plot and things are different. You will be working in rows and in large areas. Working 20m + rows. Weed control by machine is necessary. So if you need to dig over a plot of 2 pole or less get a tiller if you have 1/2 an acer get a culltivator. But which ever you get, make sure its heart is a Honda.
Oh and once you enter the mechansed gardenergroupe, you will be in our gang.
I just wish more of you lived near to test drive the options.
always have a target
and an objective.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 21:42 »
Quote from: "Bigbadfrankie"
I have spent 30years + using small rotovators. and recently due to this site and the fact I now have a good few rotovators I have given a great deal of thought to which one is best. In my mind you cannot bet the honda for reliability ie ease of starting. I think the main question is tiller or cultivator (merry tiller or Howard). The tiller if you have a small plot offers good digging at good depth. All other operations can be done with a rake and a hoe. A big plot and things are different. You will be working in rows and in large areas. Working 20m + rows. Weed control by machine is necessary. So if you need to dig over a plot of 2 pole or less get a tiller if you have 1/2 an acer get a culltivator. But which ever you get, make sure its heart is a Honda.
Oh and once you enter the mechansed gardenergroupe, you will be in our gang.
I just wish more of you lived near to test drive the options.

My plot is 126m sq... not sure what that is in poles? merry Tiller / vultivator territory?
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 22:22 »
Hi SW I think a tiller for you. Your plot in my humble opinion is of a size that a good deep dig with a tiller once a or twice a year and then hand tools would be within the time availible to modern man. If you feel inclined to put it all to lettuce get a howard(with a honda engine). :D  :D  :D

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 22:33 »
thanks for replies.  I am keen on honda because my bike engine starts every time.  how do briggs and stratton engines fair?

also, can I ask what the difference is between a tiller and a cultivator?

Is there also a preference between having the wheels on the front or back?

thanks again.

ps.

opinions on this model please:

http://www.mower-magic.co.uk:80/acatalog/ARDISAM_Badger_Front_Tine_Cultivator.html

shaun

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 22:45 »
the wheel driven ones are much easier to use monty where as the tiller the tines basically drive it so it can tend to bounce around and take off on ground that hasnt been culitivated much,once you have culitivated it a few times they are no trouble.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 11:55 »
crikey, it's confusing isn't it? go on say it - it's because i am a woman!
we looked at some at a garden machinery place, the cheapest was £249 but didn't have a reverse gear and the guy said we'd be better off with one with reverse which put the price up to £399 (he assured us he wasn't on commission) do you agree with this? our plot is aprox 89' x 45' but is split into beds (not raised) of various sizes.

muntjac

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 12:15 »
if your working on a plot you dont need a reverse gear just stop the machine and turn it round manually . reverse gear is neccasary if ya in a tight place  or its a real heavy machine
still alive /............

Gwiz

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 12:49 »
reverse is great, but not £100 great+ its another belt to snap

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 14:36 »
reverse is good in the greenhouse :lol:

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 22:02 »
Quote from: "shaun"
the wheel driven ones are much easier to use monty where as the tiller the tines basically drive it so it can tend to bounce around and take off on ground that hasnt been culitivated much,once you have culitivated it a few times they are no trouble.

Thanks Shaun.  Does yours have wheels at the back or front?

shaun

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 18:35 »
Quote from: "MontyTom"
Does yours have wheels at the back or front?

i have both tom but would use the howard (wheel driven) 1st anytime.most of them will have gears usually 2 forward and 1 reverse.so this makes it better for moving around.before i got it i couldnt see what the fuss was about but once you have compared the 2 then theres no comparison.dont get me wrong the tillers (no wheels) are great but are a devil to use,but once you get used to them they are realy good.also the tiller will get between tight rows much easier as you can take the outer tines off and reduce the tines to about 10" instead of the howard that is 18" wide(you cant reduce the width of the tines) so if you intend to weed with it you need rows 2' apart
also the howard sounds better  :wink:
heres my 2  
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=348

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 13:02 »
Quote from: "Bigbadfrankie"
Hi SW I think a tiller for you. Your plot in my humble opinion is of a size that a good deep dig with a tiller once a or twice a year and then hand tools would be within the time availible to modern man. If you feel inclined to put it all to lettuce get a howard(with a honda engine). :D  :D  :D

Thanks Frankie...A tiller it is then...watch this space.

question
Scythe - does anyone recommend one?

Started by Babycat on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 10:57
by compostqueen
xx
What Shredder Would You Recommend?

Started by John on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2017, 13:29
by John
xx
Recommend me a mower

Started by si-mate on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2007, 08:26
by si-mate
xx
Powered Wheelbarrow - Can anyone recommend one?

Started by angelavdavis on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 17:35
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 36 queries.