free range worming

• 6 Replies

jennie hennie

free range worming
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:00 »
My girls free range all the time except at night obviously. If I put flubenvet pellets in their feeder is it going to be effective , should I leave it more than a week or am I wasting my time? Any experiences please ???
It's just that i think the newbies need doing.

hen addict

Re: free range worming
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:27 »
Hi, When treating with flubenvet, the treatment is that you feed exclusively with the pre treated pellets, or powder added by self mixing. It's the only way you can be sure that the digestive system has been completely treated. Nothing else except water obviously, should be given which includes free ranging. The confinement for 7 days during treatment will do no harm in comparison to a worm burden which will pull a birds health down to sometimes fatal consequences. Hope this helps. :)
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

jennie hennie

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:33 »
Thanks, that's what I thought. Only have a tiny space to confine them which might cause problems but will give it a go.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 14:37 »
no treats at all and ignore their moaning.

barley

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 22:22 »
I've posted this before

my girls free range 99 % of the time

I worm by mixing flubinvet with hulled sunflower seeds - I put seeds and flubinvet in a tub with lid and shake it up , you can see flubinvet dust stuck to the seed

I then feed them to the girls for a quick peck making sure all get a dose - repeat it every day for 7 days , this way they can continue to free range and a guaranteed dose is delivered daily for 7 days

this works for me but the others advice is correct also

Prod

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 16:02 »
Mine free range and it would be difficult for me to confine them so I mix the flubenvet with cat food (not chicken of course) and put in small dishes a group at a time. They eat it in seconds so I know they are all getting one dose a day. I still give them layers and they still free range but it works for me.

jennie hennie

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:30 »
Thanks everyone, in this instant I had 'flub' pellets to use up so had to confine them  :( They survived and actually think the 2 newbies are more tolerated by granma now ::) so that's good, also the delight of letting them out again was worth it. It also gave some of the plants time to recover !! They're busy de -pesting now though.
Will try the other suggestions next time

xx
Free range and worming

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 21:26
by evie2
xx
Anybody free range?

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post October 28, 2016, 19:22
by greenjay
xx
Food from free range

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 21:43
by henrys.hens
xx
Chicks that Free Range

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 20:28
by woodburner

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 38 queries.