Egg bound

• 3 Replies

tonethebone

Egg bound
« on: September 07, 2009, 14:54 »
We lost one of our ex batts yesterday.
The girls had called her Babs and she was adorable (aren't they all??)
She had feathered up nicely after her time in the battery farm and she enjoyed the freedom we gave her in the garden to free range - with 7 others.

I suspect that she was egg bound and died as a result, I only found her when I let them all out first thing yesterday morning so she must have died sometime during the night.

One of my girls had noticed her "being tired" but they all doze off during the day and other than that she appeared fine.
We did suspect, however that she may have been laying two eggs a day which is not uncommon so I understand. This would have meant her system was in overload as it tried to cope with such a high production. But until yesterday there had been no problems whatsoever as all 8 of them have everything they could possibly want. Food, water, shelter and love.

Thankfully my two girls have now gotten over the sad loss, but the lesson I have learnt is that I should keep a closer eye on them for any tell-tale-signs. This all happened in a few hours which shows that the chucks health can deteriate rapidly if nothing is done.

So I shall be personally tucking them up into their beds tonight and checking them all one by one as they march into their coop before lights out.

Tony

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Egg bound
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 15:05 »
Well done for giving your girls a wonderful retirement.

Unfortunately the lives they led before they got to you does mean that this can sometimes happen.

Hope your girls get over the loss soon.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 15:36 »
the time you gave her was fantasic, she felt the sun on her back, wind in her face, was held, loved,fed and watered. Any time away from the factory is worth it for our girls. im sorry about your loss, but what you gave her , however short it was was worth its weight in gold. sending hugs :) xx

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 15:48 »
Oh, so sorry.
At least she enjoyed a life after the cage, thanks to you.  Can't win em all.

xx
egg bound

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 13:44
by hotterotter
xx
how do you know if a hen is egg bound

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 13:43
by poultrygeist
xx
EGG BOUND

Started by barley on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2014, 17:02
by grinling
xx
Egg bound

Started by suep on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 12:06
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 38 queries.