White rotting spuds

• 5 Replies

jb

• Experienced Member
White rotting spuds
« on: September 17, 2009, 22:25 »
Hi,
Can anyone suggest what is up with my pink fir apples. Two weeks ago I cut down the haulms as nearby toms got blight although there was no obvious sign on the spuds but as the haulms were pretty ragged anyway I decided to play safe. However on digging up the tubers under some plants I have found a number of spuds whose flesh has liquified or is in the process of liquifying. I initially thought blight but the weird thing is that the liquified goo is really bright white, whiter than healthy spuds. There is no sign of brown discolouration which I believed was always present on blighted tubers. There is also a foul pong with some but not all rotten tubers
So far of 4 plants dug up 2 have had manky spuds with one having about 1/3  diseased while for the second only 6 showed disease.
Can anyone advise as to what this might be, what effect it will have on storage and should I pull the rest of the spuds asap.
Many thanks
Jon

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: White rotting spuds
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 22:54 »
I'm no expert but isn't the foul smell an indication that it is blight in the tubers?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 23:08 »
I only grew PFA the once, and I don't think I had blight, but quite a few did go mushy in the ground.  Don't know if this is simply a common problem if you don't dig them up sooner?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

pushrod

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 23:57 »
do the affected ones  have any sign of slug damage - if so it could be soft rot.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 19:38 »
Sadly I don't think it is being let in by slugs as some spuds appear intact but are like bags of goo. Plus I do have some slug damaged spuds that appear to not have any sign of rot. I have pulled the remaining spuds and there appears to be less frequency of bad spuds along the row but they are still present  >:(.

pushrod

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 20:47 »

Bag of goo very apt description for one of my rooster potatoes, however with mine fortunately, there were signs of some sort of burrowing pest. My pink fir apples all seem to be in remarkably good condition. Wonder if it is blight? Sorry i can't be any help.

xx
White spuds

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 15:31
by arugula
xx
White chits on spuds

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 18:30
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Maris Peer Spuds & White Sprouts

Started by seeNeutral on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 09:26
by seeNeutral
xx
Rotting Hay

Started by Solitaire on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 19:08
by woodburner

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.