carrots

• 17 Replies

hanssg

carrots
« on: May 12, 2014, 20:16 »
hi how many out there have not got there carrots in yet like me its been very cold and wet here up north. :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: carrots
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 20:38 »
I only sowed mine 10 days ago, and re-sowings can be done for a while yet, I think.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 20:40 »
hi how many out there have not got there carrots in yet like me its been very cold and wet here up north. :(

Well I put some seeds in the ground about a fortnight ago and they were big enough at the weekend to thin out.
I'm oop north too, so I know what you been about it being cold and wet. We just had an absolute downpour so everything is probably flooded and flattened now  :ohmy:

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 22:14 »
You can keep sowing right through to the end of July so plenty of time yet. I sow the first lots in flower buckets in the greenhouse in March and put them out when they get to a couple of inches high.

al78

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 23:05 »
I am sowing successionally but the ones sown direct in the ground are either not coming up or something is eating the seedlings. The only place I have any decent carrot seedlings is in a raised bed covered with veggemesh (the ones outdoors are also covered with mesh and have had slug nematodes watered in but still hardly anything). It looks like it could be one of those years where I spend more on carrot seed than any carrots I get at the end would cost if I bought the equivalent quantity. Annoying because it is a staple vegetable for me.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:14 »
I am sowing successionally but the ones sown direct in the ground are either not coming up or something is eating the seedlings. The only place I have any decent carrot seedlings is in a raised bed covered with veggemesh (the ones outdoors are also covered with mesh and have had slug nematodes watered in but still hardly anything). It looks like it could be one of those years where I spend more on carrot seed than any carrots I get at the end would cost if I bought the equivalent quantity. Annoying because it is a staple vegetable for me.

I put in one row ages ago... no sign of them. In the past I've used a light sprinkle of slug bait to give them a fighting chance and had much improved results.

I intend to sow a few more rows between now and "too late" - Autumn King seems happy to get going from late sowings.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 06:57 »
I put my early ones in about 6 weeks ago under some old glass, There up and on  the way to the races now.
I put some other lines in a couple of weeks ago and they are all showing, They are all covered by the carrot netting and the weather down south has been good.You still have lots of time to get them in yet. I won't be planting my main winter crop until the middle of June
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

barley

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 22:13 »
sown them twice - just showing through but patchy

all root crops seem dismal this year

rubberfrog

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:38 »
Sown a couple or rows 10ish days ago, its rained ever since, no sign of them yet.  Hope they have not drowned.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 09:47 »
I sow mine in 42L containers of MPC so I can keep them up and away from carrot fly. No slugs either. The oh-so-helpful jackdaws on my balcony have been thinning them out for me, but they aren't very precise.  ::)

I have another couple of sowings to do, but first the balcony needs to be cleared of squashes, leeks and cukes to make room.

Snoop

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 10:17 »
I put my early ones in about 6 weeks ago under some old glass, There up and on  the way to the races now.
I put some other lines in a couple of weeks ago and they are all showing, They are all covered by the carrot netting and the weather down south has been good.You still have lots of time to get them in yet. I won't be planting my main winter crop until the middle of June

You must have read my mind as you've just answered the question I was going to ask - when to sow winter crop of carrots. Thanks.

Oscar the dog

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 11:47 »
In bleak Penistone here - On to third row of carrots. First two coming along nicely. Sowing first back in March, probably do fourth row next week

Grow them in old drawers about 8" deep which are raised on two pallets roughly 3ft of the ground AND covered in mesh

hanssg

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 21:29 »
does the mrs know your using her old drawers ;)

Debz

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 12:53 »
I just put my first lot in 10 days ago and they are starting to come up despite the cooler weather here.  I am growing little round ones in pots though because I don't have a lot of space.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 19:27 »

You must have read my mind as you've just answered the question I was going to ask - when to sow winter crop of carrots. Thanks.

You will need to check what it recommends on the packet for sowing the main crop. I grow Eskimo for my main crop as you can leave them in the ground over the winter. They are a good carrot.

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
carrots

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 07:39
by WhippetMaster
xx
Carrots

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2015, 11:09
by simonwatson
xx
Carrots

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 24, 2012, 21:04
by heygrow

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 33 queries.