Celeriac

• 18 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Celeriac
« on: October 07, 2015, 21:22 »
I've had it with these. Whatever I do, they never get beyond tennis ball size when grown outside. They grow as big as turnips in the polytunnel, but outside - a complete waste of effort! They get the best location, well-fed and watered and the outer leaves dutifully removed so I can only conclude that we're too far north to grow them successfully

Anyone else made a decision to boycott certain plants?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Celeriac
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 21:41 »
I can't grow celeriac either  :( - I've also given up on cauliflower, which despite my best efforts never look anything like the ones in the farm shop/supermarket.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 21:50 »
I have given up on peas! The jury is out as far as celeriac is concerned. Not brilliant last year and results look mixed this year. I will have to wait till I begin to harvest.

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 22:20 »
I'd more or  less given up on celeriac until I tried the variety Ilona (as recommended by someone on this forum from Scotland if I remember correctly).

With caulis I'd almost given up until I found Walcheren - sow May, harvest the following spring.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 07:11 »
I couldn't get celeriac to grow either, and have given up - especially as Mrs Growster doesn't really like it...

You can feed and water it all the time, and it still just sprouts loads of leaves, which need to be removed every half-hour, and rewards you with a gnarled golf ball which takes about a week to peel, so. Yup, we had a celeriac-free year, and used the time to say that we'll try onions next year!

DanielCoffey

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 13:47 »
RealSeeds have "Giant Prague" celeriac - not tried it myself but they say it grows large.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 16:11 »
Another crop that's a waste of time other than in my polytunnel is sweet corn. I started 50 plants off in my propagator and then planted 40 in the tunnel and 10 outside in a warm, sunny sheltered spot. The ones in the tunnel reached the roof 10 ft up and cropped magnificently - in fact I harvested the last 2 weeks ago. The ones outside haven't even flowered yet so I pulled them up today

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 22:41 »
I have grown Giant Prague, and quite a few other varieties. Good results with GP this year. Had some for tea in fact. Some good sized ones. I generally plant them in soil with loads of manure added, and hope for rain early on to get them going. I don't water them as they're out on the plot.  I don't bother with removing the lower leaves.

Had a good sweetcorn year this year, outdoors, as per.  Not been a bad year at all, except for failed with my fave veg, Florence Fennel  :( 

Ah well, swings and roundabouts

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 21:40 »
Well I can grow it usually but this year has been a nightmare with it and everyone else I have spoken to.

The whole bed went to seed. Arghh.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 10:25 »
Another crop that's a waste of time other than in my polytunnel is sweet corn. I started 50 plants off in my propagator and then planted 40 in the tunnel and 10 outside in a warm, sunny sheltered spot. The ones in the tunnel reached the roof 10 ft up and cropped magnificently - in fact I harvested the last 2 weeks ago. The ones outside haven't even flowered yet so I pulled them up today
Don't live too far away from you and for the last few years have grown sweet corn in my greenhouse with great results. I had some spare that I planted outside and, even though we didn't have any major winds to speak of, didn't pollinate that well. We got four useable ones but needed the ends cutting off so they were really half cobs. The rest went to the geese.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 16:50 »
I have also grown Giant Prague and am very happy with them. Good size and taste just wondering how long to leave them in the ground.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 15:26 »
I have also grown Giant Prague and am very happy with them. Good size and taste just wondering how long to leave them in the ground.
I grow Giant Prague, and whilst not being giant, and a couple bolting they've done Ok again.  Last year year I just pulled them as required. Didn't seem to suffer although we didn't have a very bad winter here.  Will do the same this year.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 15:14 »
I have grown Giant Prague this year - and they look on the small size to me compared with previous years - I am up to about large orange / grapefruit size now - However - I did find this gem of wisdom on a web site somewhere ( I can't remember exactly where  ) which I copied out to make me  be a little more patient before I start harvesting .... "in experiments it has been shown that celeriac roots will literally double in weight between September 15 and November 1."

AnneB

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 09:49 »
I have one plant of tennis ball size, the remaining have only made it to golf ball status.   
Not really worth harvesting.  Oh well.

Eblana

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 10:39 »
Mine are golf ball size.  Compost heap for them I think!

xx
Celeriac

Started by gregmcalister on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2007, 19:58
by gobs
xx
Celeriac

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post October 17, 2011, 10:47
by lazza
xx
Celeriac

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post August 11, 2013, 13:19
by Ashurstman
xx
Celeriac

Started by billy the pig on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 07:51
by billy the pig

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 40 queries.