Gooseberries

• 7 Replies

Michael D

• Experienced Member
Gooseberries
« on: July 06, 2008, 20:40 »
Hi  All  
          This is my first time on this site  hello all, I just picked my first gooseberries today and wow,    they are the size of 50 ps and sweet, i grow them in raised beds with a lot of horse and cow muck dug in and cow muck on top to help keep the weeds down, the wife can`t beleive the differance from the ones she got from tescos.   She even said mine had a earthy smell and no smell from the ones from the shops. This is my first year on the alloment. :D

Hawthorne

Gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 21:05 »
Oh - I'm so looking forward to getting some gooseberry bushes into my lottie this autumn. I love them !

And welcome :D

Dominic

Gooseberries
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 21:06 »
Its awesome.
I've got some blackcurrants, I can almost stand to eat them, whereas store bought ones, ewwww.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Re: Gooseberries
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 22:18 »
Quote from: "Michael D"
Hi  All  
          This is my first time on this site  hello all, I just picked my first gooseberries today and wow,    they are the size of 50 ps and sweet, i grow them in raised beds with a lot of horse and cow muck dug in and cow muck on top to help keep the weeds down, the wife can`t beleive the differance from the ones she got from tescos.   She even said mine had a earthy smell and no smell from the ones from the shops. This is my first year on the alloment. :D

Are they leveller gooseberries ?  I planted them as well late last year and they are so nice I eat more than I take in.

I think in Sainsburys they have invicta - not as nice.

willowman

• Experienced Member
Eating blackcurrants
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:47 »
Dominic, take care. Stood by the blackcurrant bush a couple of weeks ago and sampled half a dozen large blackcurrants (as I used to do as a kid). They were a bit tart, but quite enjoyable. Next day severe stomach ache and (sorry) trots. Guess my stomach is not as robust as it used to be when I could eat all sorts of berries and rhubarb straight from the plant.
Oh well, just have to simmer them with some sugar and vodka and make a warm sauce to go on my ice cream.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
Gooseberries
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:14 »
Michael D - what variety did you grow? I'm definitely keen to plant some on my plot later this year, and yours sound like The Berries ;-)

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Gooseberries
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 12:31 »
Quote from: "littlelisa"
Michael D - what variety did you grow? I'm definitely keen to plant some on my plot later this year, and yours sound like The Berries ;-)

I planted lots of which only 4 - langley gage, Hinomaki yellow and red and leveller gave fruits (hopefully the rest will next year).

Leveller were the nicest by far (although I would not say no to the others).   I am hoping to plant more bushes in November and I will definetly have at least one more Leveller.

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
Gooseberries
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 00:12 »
I've just scrumped a couple of big bag fulls of gooseberries from an allotment that was given up by a lovely old chap, and as yet hasn't been taken over by anyone, despite a long waiting list. All in the spirit of recycling, and the Government's great new drive for us not to waste food!
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

xx
Feeding gooseberries and gooseberries in pots

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 21:29
by londongardener
xx
gooseberries

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 23:10
by cooperman
xx
Gooseberries

Started by superluke2 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 22:04
by sunshineband
xx
What no Gooseberries??!!

Started by Davenports on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 10:53
by Tinbasher

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.