What would you do?

• 9 Replies

SCassin

• Experienced Member
What would you do?
« on: September 12, 2013, 14:07 »
I officially got my new landshare plot today and went down with a spring in my step full of plans etc.   Whilst I was there and no one else was about I decided to have a look at my fellow plot holders plots to see what they were growing, what is doing well, what soil looks like etc and maybe gets some better ideas.  I was very good I never touched a thing, I stuck to the communal paths between plots etc.  However, on one plot a person had a little row of about 6 cabbages all under net.  Each cabbage altho small looked ok excepted for the huge amount of holes in the outta leaves.  I looked at the one closest to the path I was on and low and behold it was covered and I mean covered in caterpillars.  I so wanted to pick them off but didn't want to get caught interfering with someones plot on my first day!!  What would you have done??  Im now feeling guilty that I did nothing, those cabbages were probably hard work and their being destroyed.  OH heck there more to this landshare than I thought - in future I think I will go up with blinkers on and rose tinted glasses  :wub:   One other point it is supposed to be as organic landshare as possible so no pellets, sprays etc can be used.

Sue33

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 14:22 »

maybe get to know your fellow plotholders first, some would welcome a helping hand, others might tell you to bog off  :ohmy: once you get going you'll be too busy with your own plot to worry about other plots  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 14:27 »
Never go onto another person's plot without being invited, however good your intentions!  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 14:46 »
As I said I didn't go onto the plot I just looked admiring from the side line.  I wouldn't touch without permission or even go onto someone elses plot unless invited but when I got home I started to feel bad for the person who'd made the effort to grow the cabbages :-( 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 16:09 »
Never go onto another person's plot without being invited, however good your intentions!  :D

Absolute allotment etiquette !

Diseases such as club root and white rot can be spread by soil on your feet - far worse than a few caterpillars eating the cabbages.

AND there is nothing like losing a few cabbages to make you more careful about netting them properly next time.

Sweetpea C

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 16:15 »

Absolute allotment etiquette !

Diseases such as club root and white rot can be spread by soil on your feet - far worse than a few caterpillars eating the cabbages.

AND there is nothing like losing a few cabbages to make you more careful about netting them properly next time.

Totally off topic but loving the new pic Aunt Sally - just as I remeber you!!!
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 16:56 »
Everyone seems more concerned about me going onto someone elses plot even tho I have said at least twice I didn't :-( I only walked on communal paths. 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 17:21 »
But if you had gone to pick off the caterpillars, you would have  ;)  People can be odd sometimes and if someone saw you and then told the plot holder, they may well have not been pleased, even though you would have been doing them a favour.  No-one on here want you to be on the receiving end of any nastiness, so were just letting you know 'the ways of the lottie' and the unwritten rules  ;)  :)

Once you get to know everyone, I'm sure you'll find kindred spirit plot holders that welcome a helping hand now and again and will do the same for you.  I have that sort of relationship with some of my plot neighbours.

Oh and having a plot wander is a great way to learn and make friends, so keep that up  :)

SCassin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 23:04 »
As I clearly stated tho I wouldn't go without permission or invitation - to me that would be trespassing.  I don't thinks its an unwritten rule I think it common sense you don't go on someones plot without permission.  I just wondered who would have done it - I at no point said I would have.  Shame some took that because I felt bad not helping I didnt know etiquette or am stupid enough not to realise some people would take offence.  This isn't my first ever allotment this is just my first landshare site.  I do think it sad tho when some one sees something destroying someones hard work and cant do anything to help because it isn't etiquette and the answer is well at least once their vegetables are destroyed they will learn to protect them better in the future  :(   I know sometimes you have to learn the hardway but how sad when you cant help your neighbour or just feel bad that you cant because others jump to conclusions.  Maybe it isn't an unwritten rule but more like its narrow minded people.

BobE

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 23:22 »
As I clearly stated tho I wouldn't go without permission or invitation - to me that would be trespassing.  I don't thinks its an unwritten rule I think it common sense you don't go on someones plot without permission.  I just wondered who would have done it - I at no point said I would have.  Shame some took that because I felt bad not helping I didnt know etiquette or am stupid enough not to realise some people would take offence.  This isn't my first ever allotment this is just my first landshare site.  I do think it sad tho when some one sees something destroying someones hard work and cant do anything to help because it isn't etiquette and the answer is well at least once their vegetables are destroyed they will learn to protect them better in the future  :(   I know sometimes you have to learn the hardway but how sad when you cant help your neighbour or just feel bad that you cant because others jump to conclusions.  Maybe it isn't an unwritten rule but more like its narrow minded people.

What cost is a cabbage?, 90p perhaps a pound.  Until you know that holder you can't know the real value to him/her of that plant.  I agree they did plant them, but maybe life has dealt a hand that makes them not very important.  Of course your lovely instinct was to help and I know you only stayed on the pathways.  Over the next year you may get a chance to say Hi, forget those cabbages, they all end up as compost anyway.  Put it behind you and look forward to next spring.

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 29 queries.