What I did on the plot today 2024

• 33 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Re: What I did on the plot today 2024
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2024, 16:37 »
Short visit today to strim the grass on plot.
Also potted up some tomatoes which had germinated very rapidly in my heated propagator. Fingers crossed I’m not too early!
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2024, 17:12 »
I did some hedge trimming, too many scrawny blackberry plants are growing through it  :(

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2024, 16:51 »
Finally managed to complete the last raised bed on the plot - Hurrah! Spread the last of the muck around and called it a day
Ali T - Is that wood chips on your paths, can't quite see, if so, looking to do that on my new path which I cleared of weeds, do they stick to your boots if you been on soggy earth on the plot?

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 10:48 »
Nice sunshine first thing so I managed to take the old grow bags to the plot along with a old bag of manure. Ground pretty wet so I just crudely upended some weedy grass in a bed and covered with some of the grow bag soil. Will give it a proper dig/fork over before planting some salad or beetroot in that bed when the soil is drier & warmer.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2024, 19:19 »
Lovely day today so cut the grass in my back garden and took the clippings to the allotment and layered it in a blue barrel mixing in shredded paper and horse manure at the same time

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2024, 19:11 »
Put some sugar snap peas in and made a net cage to keep those pigeons off them

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2024, 12:19 »
Finished spreading a dumpy bag of mushroom compost.  Doesn't spread as far or as thick as I hope ( again ).
Tidied up a bit - old scraps of wood left by a previous tenant, plus some grass clumps and a couple of raspberry runners.  No standing water now but still pretty sodden

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2024, 10:09 »
Had put a plastic cloche over one strip a week ago and sowed beetroot this morning.
Did some hoeing but more weeds need digging out.
Might do more modules in home greenhouse later

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2024, 11:42 »
Brief visit to plot after cutting lawn at home.
Weeded a strawberry bed and checked the asparagus. Ground is still pretty wet but improving. Hopefully i won’t have too much more rain to come before I manage to sow some seeds!

snowdrops

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2024, 20:48 »
On the 2nd of 3 trips to the plot today ! I weeded the asparagus bed as I’d spotted a load of little weeds had appeared & in a matter of days were beginning to flower.  So 2 buckets of weeds are now waiting to go to the chickens tomorrow :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Ali T

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2024, 20:08 »

Ali T - Is that wood chips on your paths, can't quite see, if so, looking to do that on my new path which I cleared of weeds, do they stick to your boots if you been on soggy earth on the plot?
[/quote]
Bobbyt - SO sorry for not responding sooner (Been sowing seeds like a woman possessed!) Yep, I guess they would do - but the reason I have wood chipped paths is so that I dont have to walk on any of my beds, so I dont get sticky muddy boots any more (Hurrah!)
I must say that all through this horrible wet weather, the paths have been brilliant - I'd highly recommend them  :D
Beds n Paths Plot 13.jpg

Ali T

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2024, 20:24 »
I completed construction of the connecting 'path' between my water butts and the 'top' beds, so I can now (at last) focus on planting rather than woodworking  :lol:
Transplanted my rhubarb from the house garden to the plot a few weeks ago and it seems to be settling in okay (fingers crossed!), unfortunately no rhubarb for us this year whilst they get established  :(
Got first earlies in a couple of weeks ago and have taken a risk with some early sowings of roots (Turnips, early carrots, beets)
The greenhouse and windowsills are stuffed to bursting.....
Path near water butts.jpg
Rhubarb transplanted.jpg

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2024, 12:21 »
Visited plot to strim the grass paths etc.
Took the opportunity to roughly dig over two beds and remove weeds.
Transferred a couple of strawberries from an overgrown bed to my main strawberry bed. Covered the main bed with a cloche.

Ali T

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2024, 13:54 »
2 full dry hours on the plot - luxury!  :lol:. Planted out my second early potatoes, sowed a line of rocket, planted out a bought rosemary bush as a start to the herb bed, constructed a couple of (slightly wobbly) wigwams for the beans, spotted and took a piccie of the first asparagus tip of the year Yay! and sowed some hardy annual flower seeds in the 'pollinator' bed. The little apple tree is in full bloom as is the cherry and the foxgloves are thriving under the fruit trees, happy morning!
Little apple tree.jpg
Wobbly wigwams.jpg

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2024, 12:37 »
After enormous quantities of rain, I've finally taken advantage of a few dry days this month to get stuck into the plot. Preparing beds for growing by digging over and adding compost, sharp sand for the carrot beds. Lots of weeding and hedge/shrub cutting, with dandelions the main weed this week.

I've also made the decision to put raised beds on a non-raised area, to improve drainage and the growing soil condition. I got some decking boards to make the frames. A lot of digging needed, then will put a layer of hardcore in each, and fill with topsoil mixed with cattle manure and home made compost. A busy time, but I am behind due to the weather conditions during February and March.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 12:38 by Thrutchington »

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 55 queries.