Greenhouse Base using Railway Sleepers

• 36 Replies

fatcat1955

Re: Greenhouse Base using Railway Sleepers
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 20:36 »
I used 4x4 treated fence post's for mine. Cut them to size and screwed the corner's together. Worked a treat.

ryetek

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 08:40 »
I'm not really sure that would work for us. The ground is soft and fairly wet so I'm pretty sure they would move with time.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 09:36 »
You might have a problem putting your greenhouse on wet ground as it will cause condensation and then fungal diseases for your plants.  :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ryetek

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 10:18 »
You might have a problem putting your greenhouse on wet ground as it will cause condensation and then fungal diseases for your plants.  :(

That may be true ANHBUC and that's why I don't think I'm going to try and grow in the ground soil. I'm going for a full concrete or paving slab base but have not decided which as yet.

ANHBUC

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 15:24 »
If it is that damp it will still come through the paving joints so you might be better with a concrete base.

ryetek

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 15:28 »
you might be better with a concrete base.

I think that's the path I'm going to take.
Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

ryetek

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 19:52 »
We eventually got around to constructing our greenhouse base. We decided to go for concrete in the end. Total cost was just under £100 including all materials and delivery. The size of the base is 6' 9" (2035mm) wide x 8' 6" (2550mm) long although it does not look that big in the photos. In fairness I should also say that I did hire in some help to assist with the mixing, barrowing and tamping etc. This help is not included in the cost above. Also note that we decided to have the greenhouse in our back garden as opposed to the allotment.

The base was constructed 3 days before the bad snow arrived in January. It was then covered with a sheet for two weeks until the snow melted. I was worried that the concrete might not set due to the cold but it had actually gone off the day after it was laid and you could safely walk on it on the same day that the snow arrived. Considering it's actually quite a wet lawn I was suprised at how little damage we did to the grass. It's a bit brown but it will soon recover in Spring. I had visions of it being a churned up muddy mess!

Here are some pictures of the base.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 19:55 »
sorted now for the best bit  ;)

Sparkyrog

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 20:05 »
If your going to use a concrete floor I personaly would make it slightly concave with a soak away in the centre  :)
I cook therefore I grow

ryetek

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 20:19 »
sorted now for the best bit  ;)

Indeed MoS. The greenhouse is actually on the base now but I don't have any photos of that yet as it was only done recently. I will try and get some at the weekend and then post them up on the forum.  :)

If your going to use a concrete floor I personaly would make it slightly concave with a soak away in the centre  :)

I agree with that but did not think of it at the time. It's a bit too late now so we'll have to see how it goes. The drainage issue only came to me today after reading this thread :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101085.0

ANHBUC

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 10:35 »
Great job ryetek especially with the rotten weather we have had.  Bet you can't wait for spring and filling your greenhouse with plants.   :D

ryetek

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 12:59 »
Great job ryetek especially with the rotten weather we have had.  Bet you can't wait for spring and filling your greenhouse with plants.   :D

Thanks ANHBUC. We were very lucky to catch a few dry days just before the snow set in otherwise it still would not be done.

We can't wait to start using the GH. It also means we'll probably have lots of new things to learn too. For example we've never grown cucumbers or sweet peppers before :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 15:42 »
I was in North Yorkshire yesterday and the roads had been cleared of the day befores snow by snowplough.  Then it was melting but had nowhere to go so loads of flooded bits.  Then blanket fog from the melting snow and bright sunshine.  It was still a lovely day though as we had lunch in Walkers at East Ayton and back home via Helmsley.   :D

ryetek

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 16:16 »
Ah yes. Walkers is the restaurant next to the garage. I've never been there myself but I hope your lunch was good. It gets mainly good reviews from what I hear.

If you followed the A170 from East Ayton back to Helmsley then you came with a stones throw of where we live. There was a fair bit of surface water from the melting snow yesterday but you certainly would not have enjoyed the road on Wednesday. I work in York and it usually takes about 35 to 45 minutes to get home. Wednesday, 1 hour and 40 minutes complete with 3 minor accidents and 1 nasty looking one. Totally awful. The time taken to get home was not a record however!!!

Anyhow I hope you enjoyed your travels in to our neck of the woods.  :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 16:23 »
Often down in your neck of the woods.  Hubby and I helped out with the Ryedale Rally a few years ago.  We nearly bought a bungalow in Wrelton the other year but couldn't find a buyer for our property.

You want to try Walkers, the cafe at the front is really nice as well as the Fish restaurant.  Always been really pleased with the food and the service, the staff are lovely.   :)

xx
Railway sleepers for shed base

Started by Kieron on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 17:54
by Kieron
xx
Railway Sleepers

Started by GaryH on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 16:12
by cacran
xx
Railway Sleepers

Started by mrs bouquet on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 17:04
by johnjsdb
xx
Railway Sleepers!!

Started by leeky on Design and Construction

23 Replies
Last post October 18, 2007, 20:20
by splodger

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 29 queries.