Two silly old Women

• 10 Replies

mrs bouquet

Two silly old Women
« on: November 03, 2019, 11:41 »
A friend and I nearly always go on the bus into Worthing on Saturdays.    Yesterday was no exception.   The bus was empty, the town was empty, and much of it was flooded.    The wind was blowing the sea and the flood.
Many shops had given up, and shut their doors, although the water was still blowing under them.  The staff were on the other sides with their buckets and mops.   Clinging on to each other like two drowned rats, we went into Iceland, which is on the corner of the sea front.  Guess what  -  empty, so no queue at the checkout  ;).   Had a cuppa in Debenhams coffee shop, and every cake stand was full up.  Nobody in there either.  We left and waded through the flood and came home.  I had my riding mac on, and the water was dripping off the bottom of it, and my jeans were stuck to my legs, my trainers (normally waterproof) were squelching.
Back home, heating on, dripping clothing in the bathroom, and another hot cuppa.

What a couple of very silly old birds.  (seagulls ?)  But it was quite funny. :D   Did you venture out anywhere ?  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Two silly old Women
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 17:49 »
Only to work Mrs B, but we had a lot of waterlogged customers just like you.  There were also loads of fireworks going off when we left (9ish), even though it was sodden everywhere and not nice to be out. Whether that demonstrates true grit or just silliness is debatable  :lol:

If you had a giggle despite the weather, it was worth going into town  :)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 22:00 »
Well done you. Sometimes it's nice to go out even if it is miserable, just because you've got out.
I fully intend doing a you and saying stuff the weather I'm out anyway because if you don't use it you lose it.

Not directed at you rant. Before I had to stop working I worked with the Elderly. It was known people start off making excuses not to go out and if you let yourself make excuses it becomes habit and your ability to do things goes down. From there you get frail as you and your muscles lose condition etc. You know these rising chairs, people get them when their fit to get up out of their chairs. But because they've got them, they may as well use them or they over use them and they lose the ability to stand up. And they only find out they lost the ability and that getting up was the extent of their exercise when they go around to a relatives house. Sit on the sofa and can't get out of it. Also the decreased mobility leads to perpetual dehydration as going to make a cup of tea gets too much and from there' greater chances of UTIs. UTI's are lethal. By over using those chairs I mean that you should over using it means that if you need it, only raise it as far as you need then get up the rest of the way.

We went to the shop and put their kids in their "it's pouring coats"-the ones that are 2 sizes too big so it goes further down their legs and covers their hands. Soaked to the knees and down both sides of our legs. One side soaked by the driving rain going out, the other soaked coming back.

Children were raging, but it means they went into their bath quickly (adulterated with sleepy time bubble bath  8)  ;) ) and off to sleep sooner and no trouble. Which is the only reason it was a family outing rather than one of us doing a milk run.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 07:16 »
The weather here just made a bad day (rugby) worse, so nothing could raise my spirits any way...

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 09:11 »
I didn't actually venture out anywhere, but I got very wet too.  I popped into the garden to cut some seed heads to put in a vase in the house.  My husband has two large koi ponds connected with a "brook" which runs alongside the flowerbed I was standing in.  I don't know what happened, but one minute I was cutting some lovely plant material, and the next I was semi-lying in the brook, soaked up to my middle, and floundering about like a "fish out of water". Took me a few minutes to get myself upright with no damage other than a twisted ankle and a soaking pair of shoes and jeans.  The sight of me provided much amusement to my son and my husband, who thought it was very funny.  Should have had a camera, it might have been worth £250

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 15:36 »
"Two savvy women went out to the shop.
Both suitably dressed and then so impressed
When they got to the till to pay for their bill
The manager said "You're out of your head!
This is no weather for birds of a feather,
But your loyal devotions has stirred my emotions.
Now go home and dry out then please will you try out
My latest concoction and, when you're more sober,
Just give me a ring so I can come over
To give you a voucher stating you will get discount
Of 20 per cent from the total amount."
These savvy ladies looked at each other
Then said "Would you mind if we just had another
Of your delightful concoctions?" So the manager said
"You give me no option so I'll take a chance
And hope one of you will give me a dance.
Ballroom or tango, I don't give a stuff
'Cos I've just had the sack, and now have enough
Of the cash stored away for my last rainy day.
I'm off to Las Vegas so do me a favour.
I'll give you my keys and will be so most best pleased
If you'd lock all the doors when you finally leave.
I'll tip you my hat with a pi񡠣olada
And remember your graces of beautiful faces
When dancing the Argentine tango with ardour.
It was not meant to be, so I'll say this to you.
If you know where my wife is just say "Adieu"

I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 21:41 »
Gg, you are brilliant,   I shall print that and give a copy to my friend, if you don't mind,   regards,   Mrs Bouquet

al78

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 00:09 »
The worst weather seemed to be confined to the near coast. Here in Horsham it was blustery and wet on Saturday, windy enough for the market to be cancelled, but it wasn't damaging wind, just great fun cycling with it behind me. I'm still waiting for it to stop raining every weekend so I can do some allotment jobs that would be convenient to do outside the growing season.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 12:49 »
Gg, you are brilliant,   I shall print that and give a copy to my friend, if you don't mind,   regards,   Mrs Bouquet

Hi MB. I will be most pleased if you do. Actually your reply has given me an incentive to write another poem about the escapade my dear friend Kate and I had when we decided to give her husband a surprise lawn make-over which didn't quite go according to plan!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 16:53 »
Did the same again this Saturday,   drowned,     We will never learn, you just cannot teach old birds new tricks  :lol:  Mrs B

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 12:39 »
By that, do you mean it all went tits-up???  :lol: :lol: :lol: I know very well you were just hoping you'd meet that nice manager again but I'm sorry 'cos he's just left on the next flight for Spain (so his wife told me) and won't be back until the Spanish plains dry out.  ;)

xx
Silly Painful Accident

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post April 16, 2023, 07:07
by jezza
xx
A superbly silly supermarket shopping song lol

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2018, 15:44
by jaydig

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 50 queries.