"500 words" school competition.

• 5 Replies

Goosegirl

"500 words" school competition.
« on: September 26, 2023, 08:30 »
What a great idea this is for children to have the chance to explore their imaginations yet with the discipline of being limited to 500 words. I don't know if poetry is allowed but I don't see why not. Something the Beeb said which I don't agree with is that spelling and punctuation don't matter - well they do to me. I can spot a spelling mistake a mile off and it so irritates me. Punctuation is something I try to get right and probably overdo the commas, but I use the Oxford comma after the word "and" most of the time because it makes more sense when reading it back. What are your views?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: "500 words" school competition.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 18:00 »
I use the Oxford comma after the word "and" most of the time because it makes more sense when reading it back.

I agree with that !

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 18:35 »
I blame texting for awful grammar, and remember laughing out loud when some air-head claimed that a full-stop at the end of a sentence was 'aggressive'!

I'm as guilty as the next Growster for making a few mistakes - which brings me to asking if we can have longer to correct/modify any posts please? The current few seconds isn't long enough, and while we can preview, I bet most of us don't bother!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 19:13 »
There is a great deal more awareness these days of neuro-divergent conditions such as dyslexia, or of mild learning disabilities.

I wouldn't want to penalise someone for having one of these conditions, who nevertheless found the courage to enter!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 07:02 »
There is a great deal more awareness these days of neuro-divergent conditions such as dyslexia, or of mild learning disabilities.

I wouldn't want to penalise someone for having one of these conditions, who nevertheless found the courage to enter!

I've only just discovered the dictation app on my iPhone, so this could easily help anyone with those afflictions!

You're absolutely right about, 'courage to enter', especially if the peer group discourages such action!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 08:48 »

Well said Yorkie, and Mea culpa from me as I never gave that aspect a thought. It's just occurred to me that anyone with those conditions could write something and it would have a strange yet innate beauty all of its own.

xx
Clasiscal music piano piece for Poirot's last case called "Curtains."

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2023, 09:38
by Goosegirl
xx
"Spring cleaning" the garden !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 20:06
by mrs bouquet
xx
"News" !!! To make you laugh

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2020, 13:08
by GraciesGran
xx
"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

625 Replies
Last post February 22, 2024, 18:31
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 45 queries.