"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #420 on: April 14, 2016, 08:49 »
......... in the partly rotted, worm rich leaves the council guys kindly brought round to our plot for us today, was a heavily pregnant female mole!!!!....................

Or an extremely overweight male who has been gorging on all those lovely worms  :D

Definitely lacking in male parts, and with very obvious teats 😴
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Headgardener22

« Reply #421 on: April 14, 2016, 14:21 »
My pond now has a load of tadpoles (but no frogs) and strings of toadspawn which we haven't seen for a few years.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #422 on: April 18, 2016, 05:58 »
I have just spotted some frogspawn in my tiny city garden - the first time! I am chuffed to bits! Wondering if I can set up any kind of habitat area to protect the frogs from cats, birds etc once they grow? Next doors garden is untended, I guess that will be a good thing for them. Knowing my luck the landlord will come and tarmac the lot now I've said that!!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #423 on: April 24, 2016, 16:48 »
Saw my first slow worm of the year at the plot  :D 

As usual, it was in the compost bin. I opened the lid to find a very fat slow worm basking contentedly.  Probably full after scoffing its way through the compost bin slugs  :)

RubyR3d

« Reply #424 on: April 24, 2016, 18:51 »
I have just spotted some frogspawn in my tiny city garden - the first time! I am chuffed to bits! Wondering if I can set up any kind of habitat area to protect the frogs from cats, birds etc once they grow? Next doors garden is untended, I guess that will be a good thing for them. Knowing my luck the landlord will come and tarmac the lot now I've said that!!!
.     Provide lots of ungrergrowth. Let an area grow wild with lots of upturned clay flowerpots. They can crawl under to keep cool in the summer.Also make a bit of a log pile they can crawl out of the way there. That should keep cats away.Plenty of hiding places. :)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #425 on: April 24, 2016, 19:03 »
I have just made a small bog garden next to the pond and planted something for ground cover which I hope will sprawl suitably. I've got some small rockery stones and firewood logs I can make into a nice pile for them too. Fingers crossed!

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #426 on: June 23, 2016, 20:30 »

(\ _ /)
                                                   ( .  . )
                                                    = . =
                                                   (")   (")
Colin

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #427 on: November 03, 2016, 21:23 »
 :D wow what a strange experience today There I was sitting on the shed roof hammering away replacing the roof felt before winter when I heard a stange noise coming from an overhanging field maple tree. stopping I pin pointed a pair of large mice about 4 ins long taking the key,s and eating them. carefully standing up i was within a couple of  feet of them and watched the antics for a good 10 mins before spooking them, they came back again when I started to hammer again.
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #428 on: November 03, 2016, 23:30 »
Started to weed around my Blackcurrants when something moved.  A toad had taken up residence in the dried grass around the base of the bush.  When something moves in the undergrowth in this part of the world, you jump.  Adders are everywhere here.
I left the toad some cover.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

Aled

« Reply #429 on: November 28, 2016, 09:50 »
There was a hedgehog outside our front door on Wednesday evening. I hope he's found a nice place to hibernate.
Cheers
Aled

RubyR3d

« Reply #430 on: November 30, 2016, 16:46 »
There was a hedgehog outside our front door on Wednesday evening. I hope he's found a nice place to hibernate.
Cheers
Aled
. Crikey so do I that's quite late.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #431 on: February 06, 2017, 21:14 »
There was a frog out and about in my wildlife pond today.  Daft creature  ::)

There are hibernation hollows next to it and wood piles hidden behind shrubs all around my garden, so hopefully he will find somewhere snug to sit out the next few days.

Paul Plots

« Reply #432 on: February 07, 2017, 06:21 »
There was a frog out and about in my wildlife pond today.  Daft creature  ::)

There are hibernation hollows next to it and wood piles hidden behind shrubs all around my garden, so hopefully he will find somewhere snug to sit out the next few days.

They are quite amazing things frogs, aren't they. I came across one hiding in the greenhouse before Christmas. A sensible place - hidden under the edge of the metal base behind an overwintering shrub tub in a soft dry patch of warm soil.

Hibernation - sounds attractive to me especially if it's warm, quiet and cosy.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: March 09, 2017, 08:07 »
The pond is now full of frogs and several clumps of spawn.  If you stand quietly in the garden after locking the chickens up for the night, a very loud frog chorus sets up  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #434 on: March 10, 2017, 01:08 »
Not a spot of jelly in sight here :( I saw one frog a week or two ago but that's all. Sad to say I don't think we will be seeing froglets this year.

On a plus side: the pond is full of tiny goldfish from last year. They have survived the winter and are thriving it seems.

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 51 queries.