Changing Coops

• 5 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Changing Coops
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:21 »
How much of a problem is it for my girls to change coops?

I didn't want to do it so soon after they arrived in case it disturbed them when they were just settling.  Then I didn't want to do it till they were laying.  Now they are all laying and I don't want to put them off. :)

Casey76

Re: Changing Coops
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 08:28 »
Morning :)

It depends on how far away the new coop is as to how much of a problem it is.  If it is not too far away then it is usually little problem, if it is further away it may take a little longer for them to get the hang of it.

If you can take away the old coop it will make life a little easier.

When you want to change them over do it at night.  Take them out of the old coop when they are sleepy and roosting, and pop them in the new coop - make sure they are properly on the perch and don't fall off if they are very sleepy!

They may be a little confused first thing on the morning when the come of of their new home for the first time.

It helps if you can keep them inside for the first half of the day, if it is possible to let them out at lunch time instead.  Put a couple of pot eggs in the nesting boxes to give them the idea (it is harder to break a hen of where to nest than it is where to roost).

Make sure they go to bed in the right place on a night.  If the coop is very ver from the original one, yoy may find that they just sit ont he ground where the old coop used to be, and they will need picking up and moving to the new place - this may take several days.

But normally they get the hang of it straight away.

When I moved my girls the only stopped laying for 2 days, but soon got used to their new nesting boxes.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 09:12 »
Ive just changed my coops over without any problems wot so ever, but mind you it did go back in the same place as the old one was,  they had a ramp to negoiate this time, it was very comical to watch them figuring out wot they were ment to do with it, but the very clever girls they are had it down to a T in no time.   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 09:16 »
Thanks

I move their coop and run every few days within the area they free range so hopefully we can change over without too many problems then.  I will do it when I get back.

I think I might sell the first house I bought. :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:17 by gsc »

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:50 »
Sold my last coop on ebay - had loads of interest and bidders. Almost got back what I paid for it, good luck  :)

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 11:52 »
Thats what I was thinking when I bought my coops - people pay such silly money sometimes.  Knew I would make mistakes.

Sold my greenhouse 3 years after I had it for more than I paid for it.

They get carried away :)

exclamation
Think my hen is sex changing!

Started by freebirdy on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 05, 2011, 12:21
by freebirdy
xx
Changing Food

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 11:48
by Bodger
xx
Hens changing sex?

Started by mrs.ploppy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 16:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
changing from ark to house

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 13:44
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 37 queries.