Do you think they are ready to lay? photos

• 13 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« on: October 01, 2009, 08:51 »
I have popped some pics of my girls to see if you think they are near point of lay yet. The Partridge Pekin is around 24/25 wks and the Wyandotte is 23/24 wks. What do you think? :D
P1030149.JPG
P1030146.JPG
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 19:49 by chuckmum »

Roughlee Handled

Re: Do you think they are ready to lay? photos
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:04 »
Another month at least if not next year for the bottom one and top one less.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 18:25 »
Yes, I thought that the Wyandotte was not quite as grown up as I was told when I bought her! My children are asking 'when will they lay', 'when will they lay', 'when will they lay',.........'when will they lay' etc. I have said I think it will be eggs for Easter, but I live in hope!
P1030096.JPG

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 19:25 »
hi chuckmum - lovely little group of hens! how old is your araucana? are any of your hens laying yet?

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 20:23 »
Thank you, I think they are lovely too!
'Hen' (aka 'Buckbeak') the Araucana is only 13 wks old the same age as my little lemon pekin. Nobody is laying, I am hoping that Tikka the Legbar may lay in a month or so, as she is a big girl and a hybrid, but is only 16 weeks old. My boys are desperate for an egg, I have explained that we will just have to wait until they are ready! :wacko:
Sorry there are so many pics, my son and I have been busy snapping away at our girls!
P1030135.JPG
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 20:40 by chuckmum »

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 22:01 »
Hi your legbar is a cream crested legbar and dont think that is a hybrid!
Your blue laced dotty looks younger than my blue laced girlie and she is 17wks old!
I'm still waiting for eggs from my silver dorkings and my araucanas who are 26 and 24 wks old!!!! I got my 1st egg from my hybrid girls last year in about November! so there is hope!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 07:49 »
Hi Debbie, sorry, I thought she was a hybrid, now she can hold her head up high in the hen house!!  :D (although I wouldn't care either way as she is a great character)
I also think the blue laced wyandotte ('Doily') is a similar age to the silver laced ('Dotty') although she is bigger, so maybe a few weeks older. Doily came to us without a tail, as she was a bit of a rescue job, her tail is growing back really well and she is a happy chuck now. Although her tail has yet to reach its full glory, so that might make her look younger.
Is your Lemon pekin still peeping, as mine is, she is quite small and very sweet?
We are all still totally smitten with our girls!
I'll let you know when we get an egg!!!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:55 by chuckmum »

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:58 »
You lucky thing!!!!!!!! :tongue2: :tongue2:  I am trying to get hold of a blue laced wyandotte bantam pullet or two because I think rhey are utterly beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

Do they only breed them in your neck of the woods then?  :blink: I have seen 3 pullets for sale but it is over 3 hours drive from me and with a 2 year old child with me its impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :tongue2: im a bit gutted.

Oh well always the way (sulking)

Trina  :(
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 15:48 »
I agree she is a beauty, she is darker than some blue laced which gives her feathers are a lovely copper colour. I just got lucky I guess, try looking on the sellers pages you may find a breeder near to you, or you could try hatching some out? Good luck and thanks for your comments!

Jade23

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 18:50 »
ooh i have a partridge pekin, her comb and wattle were a little bigger than yours when she started laying, i think she was about 24 weeks, I have a wyandotte 34 wks that started laying two weeks ago.  however my lavender pekin is supposed to be the same age and she hasn't started yet - now 34ish weeks, her comb is still tiny and quite pale???
I guess she'll be next year now :(
Good luck for when they arrive, i've never been so excited in my life and she's been so much friendlier since she started laying! she came and sat on my hubbys lap just before she laid her first egg :D
Owner of 1 messy husband, 2 messy boys, 2 dirty dogs, 2  smelly cats and 4 little bantams!

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 16:14 »

I hate to say it but Tikka could be a hybrid! They can be called Columbines, Bluestars, Crested and a whole host of other names. They are a cross of the Cream Crested Legbar and RIR. 80% lay a blue/green egg and 20% pastel shades. I'm hoping my Kitty will be the 80%  :unsure:

Here's my Kitty!
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

trinacooke

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 17:00 »
This is my girlie! who I am not sure if she is a hybrid or pure cream crested legbar as she and the white leghorn (mavis) were dumped at my garden gate! she lays pale blue eggs! Mavis lays large pure white ones!

who ever done it .......... YOUR LOSE MY GAIN  :tongue2:

Trina

ps keep an eye on that Wyondotte! I have deep pockets!!  :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 17:02 by trinacooke »

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 17:49 »
Hi SarahJC, Tikka does look different to your girl and more like trinacooke's girl.
She does have the characteristic tail and funny crest on her head. Your Kitty is a lovely girl.  :nowink:

I believe on further research the Legbar was breed in the 1930's from a Leghorn (she likes to fly up the tree), Aracunana (the creast) and Barred Rock. I found this...

They are very firm, muscular birds with a wedge shaped body which is broad at the shoulders and tapers towards the rear. The wings are large carried close to the body and the back is long and flat while the tail is held at 45° to the back. The head has a strong beak and large single erect comb with five to seven even spikes. They have a crest which lies at the back of the head behind the comb which is small in the male and larger in the female. The face is smooth with pendant cream or white ear-lobes, long thin wattles and the neck is long and well feathered. They have a yellow beak, red face, comb and wattles. The yellow legs and feet are strong and unfeathered with four evenly spaced toes....Sounds like Tikka to me, she certainly has big feet that dig up my boarders in seconds :D.

I'm sure Debbie is right and even if she is hybrid, its fine with me as she is a healthy feisty girl, who also has so beautiful feathers.
She was a few weeks younger in this photo...

Wyandottes are closely guarded against deep pockets!!!! :tongue2:
P1030018.JPG
P1030148.JPG
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 18:00 by chuckmum »

trinacooke

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 23:06 »
LOL  :tongue2:

Your girlie looks like mine  :D purhaps mine is a little lighter in colouring but the same shape! Mertle is lovely though and very friendly she loves a cuddle!

Trina 'with the pockets'  :lol:

xx

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2010, 21:45
by chooksbury
xx
Well here goes...photos..maybe!

Started by Lost in France on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 10:14
by dawninspain
xx
photos

Started by westie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 19, 2007, 09:21
by Selkie
xx
photos has anyone thought

Started by flyxfish on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 08:30
by flyxfish

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 38 queries.