Sowing outdoors

• 6 Replies

Christian

Sowing outdoors
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:52 »
Hi Guys

been reading around and it seems most people sow their seeds indoors and the transplant them outside once grown.  I intend to plant sow directley ourdoors as not having a greenhouse.  Do you think that I am going to have problems or will it just mean that I will need to sow later.

cheers  :)
Chrristian

muntjac

Sowing outdoors
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:02 »
stick to the packets advice mate and then add 2 weeks for the nth of the country . look at the weather week and then choose a day that has sun and dry light winds .followed by more of the same , blooming orrible trying to sow carrots in a gale . you can sow brassicas etc in a tray sized area  outsiide and then transplant to final site same as leeks  :wink:
still alive /............

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Sowing outdoors
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 13:09 »
Perhaps you can compromise Christian?

Before I had a greenhouse, I'd start some seeds (tomatoes, chillis, sweetcorn, cabbage etc.) in small root trainers that would fit on the windowsill (and still do). The issue with windowsills was having enough of them! Eventually I found the 'ideal' job for me - with this model I can fit nearly 200 seedlings (of one kind or another) in one layer on one windowsill :shock: - layered, you could get double or treble the number!
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=2037

Once the plants were up and running, I'd put them outdoors during the day and indoors during the night to harden them off, then plant out on the plot. Total time in the plant trainers is 5-6 weeks, but it does get the seedlings off to a healthy start.

Now I can take the seedlings in their tray to the greenhouse and leave them there a little longer, so it's not much different, just a little less faffing.

I always sow beans direct outdoors, after soaking overnight and keeping between damp flannels til they just sprout. But I like to keep my eye on some seedlings as they get started, and this way works for me :D

Oh, I've also used home made seed tapes (flour and water paste on newspaper strips) to get even rows of e.g. spinach, carrot and beetroot - saves a lot of time out on the plot. Not for a windy day though :lol:

Axe Victim

• Experienced Member
Sowing outdoors
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 14:00 »
With these here 'home-made' seed strips...when do you make them? Is there a danger of them germinating (in the flour and water paste)  before they are ready for planting?

:shock:
If life gives you lemons...wrap a dog turd in newspaper and set fire to it on Life's doorstep.

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Sowing outdoors
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 14:35 »
I make them a week or so before I plan to sow.
It's best IMO to set them out on a rainy day - scrape a drill, pop in the tape, and cover.
No danger of pregermination - the 'wet' period only lasts a couple of hours.
Here they are drying on the countertop!

muntjac

Sowing outdoors
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 14:48 »
blimey the grammers wrong ,,, all them full stops  :roll:

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Sowing outdoors
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 15:23 »
lol that's morse code for seeds munty :wink:

xx
Sowing pumpkin seed outdoors?

Started by Puenktchen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 08:43
by boosh
xx
Sowing Early Peas and Broad Beans in Feb - outdoors or in pots?

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 08:05
by HuwG
xx
Tomatoes outdoors??

Started by agapanthus on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2007, 13:18
by ruffmesiter_69
xx
Tomatoes Outdoors

Started by parttimer on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 19:47
by Growster...

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 34 queries.