My sermon on weeds

• 2 Replies

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
My sermon on weeds
« on: September 10, 2011, 15:53 »
A lot of people have been talking about weeds and how to get rid of them – probably more newbies than the old hands. There are all sorts of ideas and methodologies on how to get rid of weeds so I thought that I would try consolidate and simplify the info as I see it.

1.   You will never “get rid” of weeds. The best you can do is manage them.

2.   First you need to get on top of the problem. Ie dig them out. This is the hard part and one that newbies have been known to give up on half way thro. There is no alternative. Even if you use weed killer you will need to dig the remains out.

3.   Once you are on top you need to regularly deal with new weeds. Pull them out, hoe, weed kill, etc… This is because previous weeds have left seed in the soil which will continue to germinate. Seeds can survive several years but you will slowly work your way thro them. Each year you will have less seed in the soil and so less weeds. This may take a few years. Regularly means an hour at least once a week and preferably more often.

4.   Never let a weed flower and produce new seeds. This will put you back another several years. Deal with them.

5.   Weeds are part of nature and nature always wins. However after the hard bit in number 1 above its easier to keep nature at bay.

6.   If you cant do the original big dig and then manage an hour once a week your weed problem won’t reduce and you will lose interest in your plot. This means that you miss out on the good bits – planting, growing and harvesting your own veg.

Sermon over,  WG   :)

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: My sermon on weeds
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 17:28 »
A little work often is my way. Get them whilst they are small.

Must saw mine have been minimal up until the last month or so which is a combination of me being on holiday and the wetter weather.

My neighbouring plot was left idle all year so their weeds where a foot or so high - full of flower. Went today and the side of my plot bordering that was is in a right mess.

Gonna speak to local councillor who manages the plot next time i see her - no one gets warning letters and they happy to leave things as they are. An absolute joke.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
Re: My sermon on weeds
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 22:48 »
But before you get too hung up on eradicating *every* weed.. it's worth remembering how many of them are edible crops in their own right.. and how many of them support the friendly bugs that help keep the problem bugs in check.  Balance in all things..

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
weeds

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2012, 15:19
by Kleftiwallah
question
Weeds

Started by Brummie on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 20:23
by DD.

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 38 queries.