How to build your own incubator - an ongoing story....

• 26 Replies

Daemo

Hi folks - I naturally don't want to pay top dollar for an incubator - and working with engineers in my day job has given me the opportunity to pick their brains (and quite a bit of internet research) on how to make your own incubator.

Possibly!!!!

Unlike other posts ive found on various forums and the net I’ll hopefully be able to tell you everything, even down to the components – just a free exchange of info.

It’s a bit of a long post and and an ongoing one, as Ive not assembled it yet, but will keep you posted on problems / successes as they happen, however it should be built and tested (without eggs) this weekend.

The story so far.............

1. Build a box, and insulate it (quite simple so far)

2. Ensure there are air holes top and bottom, and that this flow of air is unrestricted.

3. Get a 12v adaptor (if you’re like me you’ll have lots of these knocking about the place from old radios, pc speakers etc etc).

4. Get a 12v fan from an old pc (your local council refuse site will have plenty of old pc’s, alternatively you can buy them for about £2.00)

5. Get a 12v, 10 Watt bulb and holder – an old lamp lurking around in a cupboard somewhere or you can buy them for literally a couple of pounds.

Now it gets a bit more involved.

6. Buy a Velleman MK138 thermostat from Maplins £4.99.

This will need adjusting / adapting because the temperature limit is 30. c and we need 37.5. c.

so......

7. Buy a Velleman VR3SS1A solid state power relay, and replace the relay on the thermostat (basically we are upgrading the unit to better cope with our requirements – this, and step 8 will require a soldering iron).

8. Now we need to replace the resistors on the thermostat, by doing this we enable the higher operating temperature to the range we need.  
(I’ll let you know which type of resistor to change to when ive done the testing over the weekend – I say “ive done the testing”, I mean my engineer friend!)

http://www.velleman.be/downloads/0/manual_mk138.pdf

The thermostat schematic is on the link above to help with replacing these components.

9. Attach the fan, bulb and thermostat to your box ensuring these can all operate freely.  The fan and lamp should be on the same circuit so when the bulb comes on, so does the fan - to circulate the warm air throughout the incubator to ensure a good even temperature.

10. Plug the 12v adaptor into the thermostat.  

11. Put a thermometer in the incubator, leave to operate for a few hours and adjust the dial on the thermostat until a constant 37.5. c (or your preferred optimum temperature) is achieved.  It’ll take a bit of fine tuning.

There you have a basic incubator.  

We can posh this up by adding a viewing window (glass or Perspex).

Moving on a stage, humidity may be a factor, measure this with a hygrometer – ive got a fancy one I can borrow, but Maplin has one for a fiver, with a thermometer on it too (I don’t know how accurate it would be though – you get what you pay for after all)

http://www.maplin.co.uk

Humidity wise we want….

55% to 60% for the first 18 days
65% to 70% for the last 3 or 4 days

Chances are the humidity in your incubator will be lower than required, so pop a small container of water (egg cup sized) in the incubator.

If you need more humidity, increase the surface area of your water by putting a bigger egg cup in.

If you need less humidity, decrease the surface area of your water vessel.

As I say, ive picked brains and read up on various web sites and im confident this will work, I’ll do another post next week on progress – but ultimately the proof of success is hatching chicks and we’ll have to wait a few weeks for that.

Needless to say - ensure all components are clean and be careful!

Any comments / superior knowledge gratefully accepted.

Daemo

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:42 »
:o WOW
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 16:04 »
Sounds like you mean busines Daemo !  :)

Any chance of photos, either as you go, or once you've got to a certain stage ?

I'm all for self-build and a picture is worth a thousand words.

Good luck with it.

Rob  8)

Daemo

Pictures
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 16:58 »
Hi, will do with the pictures.

I hasten to add, im getting the help from people that really do know their stuff - im just pulling all the info together in one place - im as clueless with electronics as most people, but luckily I have clever friends and colleagues!

:D

Daemon

Porffor

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 19:52 »
Can't remember where i saw it, might even have been here but it was a DIY incubator made from a polystyrene fish box of all things! lol

Hope you have fun! :) And are soon posting pics of your chicks! :)

podgyhodgy

incubator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 19:54 »
Daemo

rather than modify the temp controller you describe why not use this one:-
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/1048.htm

covers the temperature range you want and has a 240V/1A relay so no mods needed at all. £12.95 constructed - no need for soldering iron.

or this one:-
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/1076.htm
same relay as before but runs off the mains - no power supply mucking about and it has adjustable hysteresis.   This is good because you may find your existing unit chatters on and off too rapidly around the target temperature especially if you are only heating a small volume.  A bigger volume box will actually be easier to control simply because of its size.  

hysteresis basically allows you to run till you hit the target temp and then not run again until the temp has fallen say 1 degree.  Prevents rapid switching basically.

If you do go the 12v adapter route don't forget that if you have robbed an old p.c. then you have a nice chunky 12v supply right there.  I have used a couple of atx supplies like this.  (need to ground the green wire to make the other outputs all work) - nice diagram here  I simply unplugged mine from circuit board and cut off the molex connector and replaced it with screw terminal choky block stuff.
http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply-basics-inc-pinouts.htm

remember a 12v 10watt lamp will draw nearly 1 amp so your adapter must be able to supply 1 amp comfortably - it also has to supply your fan and circuit board.  a 300W p.c. psu 12v supply is typically capable of supplying 12 amps so is good.  Also consider that switching of a bulb is going to peak well above 1 amp when bulb is turning on. this can add up if rapid switching.

moving the hot bulb nearer/under the tray of water can also be used to increase the humidity.  don't spill water on the bulb mind.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 21:26 »
Do any of you converse in ENGLISH?!

podgyhodgy

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 22:34 »
Don't know that much about chickens though.

Daemo

Stat
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 12:53 »
Hi podgyhodgy - they certainly look the business, im getting some pleasure from messing about with my mk138 at the moment though - when it all goes horribly wrong (as no doubt it will), i'll get one of the stats you suggest!

Cheers

Daemo

bison1947

Re: How to build your own incubator - an ongoing story....
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 22:18 »
Hi  Daemo

What kind of 12v bulb should i use.
We have tried the halogen downlights but they
are not generating enough heat to get it up to 99.5f
we are using 60 watts

Bill................

unix142

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 18:38 »
To use The Velleman MK138 as an incubator with +/- 0.4deg hysteresis you need to change the following components:-

R4 to 4K7 1%
R5 to 3K9 5%
R6 to 2K7 5%
R7 to 10M 6%

RV1 to 1K

amdtoad

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 02:50 »
how do you fit the velleman VR3SS1A RELAY TO THE MK138 THERMOSTAT BOARD BECAUSE THE VR3SS1A DONT LOOK LIKE IT WILL FIT ON THIS BOARD, AND YOUR THE ONLY PERSON ON THE NET WHOM SAYS CHANGE THIS COMPONENT, ESR ARE A VELLEMAN KIT SUPPLIER, AND THEY STATED THAT TO USE THE KIT FOR A INCUBATOR, CHANGE ONE METAL FILM RESISTOR TO 4K7 1% AND AND 3 OTHERS AS FOLLOWS: 3K9,2K7,10M AS 5%, RV1 PRESET 100K TO 1K, AND THATS IT,
I DONE THIS AND I HAVE GOT IT RUNNING AT A VERY STABLE 37.5 DEGREES C, BUT AFTER ABOUT A HOUR OF RUNNING THE INCUBATOR, THE RELAY STARTS ARCING, BUT THE TEMP DONT CHANGE, ITS STILL A GOOD 37.5 DEGREES C, BUT THE ARCING OF THE RELAY WORRY'S ME A BIT, IF I WAS TO PUT SOME EGGS IN THE INCUBATOR, BECAUSE IF THE RELAY STOPS, THATS THE EGGS GONE FOR SURE,
IM RUNNING IT ON A 12VOLT 2AMP POWER SUPPLY, MAY BE THATS TO MUCH, BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT THE 10W BULB DRAWS NEAR ON A AMP, AND THEN YOU HAVE THE SMALL PC FAN AND THE BOARD ITS SELF,

CHEERS SHAUN

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 06:23 »
Shaun why are you shouting? using capital letters is considered shouting in computor speak.
Staffies are softer than you think.

amdtoad

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 13:14 »
joyfull im sorry for shouting, but i was not away that i was speaking to you,
i will try not typing in capital letters LOL, i did go to a special school with learning problems,
so made be thats why i write in capital letters, so i hope that answers your questions,

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 13:28 »
Thank you, us moderators do try to read every post whether they are directed at us or not, just to make sure that they are posted in the correct place and are suitable for people of all ages etc.
Hopefully somebody will come along shortly to help with this incubator thread - myself I always use a broody hen as it is far less stressful  :lol: :lol:

xx
Egg Bound- ongoing problems

Started by aspirant on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 15, 2008, 10:37
by aspirant
xx
I want to build a run.

Started by clairebeau on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 19:34
by clairebeau
xx
New coop - build or buy?

Started by justasec on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 23, 2018, 11:08
by Aidy
xx
I need to build a small hen house

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 17:44
by Cruzio

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 37 queries.