What I did on the plot today 2020

• 247 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
« on: January 01, 2020, 12:50 »
Happy New Year - 1st January, suspect not too much hard work being done today!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 19:41 »
Finished prepping a bed ready to plant out new raspberry canes tomorrow hopefully.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 13:04 »
Greenhouse cleaning at home.

wneva

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 09:04 »
Sussed out where to plant my aquadolce broad beans.  Now I have to clear that bed up and then plant 'em.   

Then it's digging out the bindweed and couch roots in the other beds and manuring.   The plot is at last drying out a bit.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 13:10 »
Took some kitchen waste down to the compost heap and shovelled a couple more barrow loads of woodchips onto the paths. Should have done a bit more than that really, but I had a fairly late night last night and didn't feel particularly energetic!

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 19:30 »
Made a dozen soil blocks to warm up in the propagator to sow some Californian Reaper chilies.

I planted out those raspberries yesterday and they had some lovely root growth after being healed into a large pot for around a month or two  :).

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 17:22 »
Dug out and leveled a piece of inclined ground that has just been left to grow wild for the insects. Transported the soil up to my dump spot, gathered the worms that had come out to play and gave them a new home in my compost bin. Washed out the last of my containers and stored them away, same with my little slug beer traps. Started washing down one side of my greenhouse and cleaned the guttering out. Got hungry and gave up.

Oh no, by typing this, I just realized I might have left my phone on top of a fence post. Hope nobody's died or anything!  :nowink:

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 18:37 »
On the 2nd trip to ‘do’ the chickens today I did a bit of clearing up, about 4 ft of the brassica cage whilst I’d opened it up to harvest some sprouts, then I moved over to the front flower border & finished clearing the last of the chrysanthemu stems & gladioli, a tiny bit of weeding was required but the very deep mulch of chippings I added last spring had really kept the weeds at bay. Hope we get some more delivered by the council this year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 21:50 »
Collected six bags of seaweed and mulched half a bed with it. Harvested some leeks and parsnips.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2020, 13:09 »
Husband's started with the removal of soil from the dead bed and found out we need to fix or re felt the roof and a gutter. We've got some manure which he's dropped off.

We didn't go for the oldest stuff as it was way off. but the stuff we got had no horse lumps. So while there is some wood chips left but they squashy so we think it's rotted enough. Also there was grass growing on in and it was filled with worms. Husband dug out one shovel and there was more worms in it than in everything we dug last year so the worm bounty has been lifted. Between the 2 plots we dug over one entire plot and saw 7 or 8 worms and they were scrawny and a bit pathetic. These were big sods and several were huge, one big proper Daddy of a worm bigger than all the plot worms together.

I'm getting enthused about worms  :ohmy:. This is not where I thought my life would lead me. But I was expecting to be a greying mad cat lady spinster. 

blackberryjam

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 14:46 »
Collected some potting soil from my allotment, I'm going to try growing some onions from seeds this year.
I'm told there more stronger.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 15:16 by JayG »

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 14:55 »
I can't dig so Husband and I had a flail around in some horse manure to get 2.5 barrow loads in the boot. Then he took it up to the plot and dug out of the contaminated dead bed; 4 barrow loads, that's 7 in total. He reckons there's another 10 to do. He thinks he's done 2/3s of the top level. He'll take out 2x spade depths. But it's claggy so it's pretty wet. When it's wet it's like grainy course poorly mixed cement but darker. It's not clay and the local survey says it's alluvial silt.
With narry a worm, beasty or anything alive in the lot. To quote him "Nothing has crawled away from me, nothing has squirmed, I'm sure there's bacteria but there's nothing I can see in that soil. it might as well be moon rock. Apart from the couch grass".

Grubbypaws

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 16:07 »
I got my husband to clean out the bird boxes and turn the compost heap while I had a cup of tea in the dry  :lol:

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 00:36 »
Washed out the last of my pots and containers, sat down half way up the garden with a cup of tea, and wondered how I could ever get crows to visit when the magpies seem to be owning the trees over the back fence. Hmm...

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 14:27 »
Husband (with my company) got 4 boot loads of horse manure to the allotment this week. He's taken out about 10 loads of soil. He's excavating to find out what was buried in there.

if it wasn't freezing I'd have told him to put half a load onto the garden. But I'm worried the temperature (2C) will kill the worms.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 55 queries.