peas?

• 10 Replies

white westie

peas?
« on: June 16, 2010, 23:36 »
Hello there still very much a newbie yet another question for you guys out there sorry lol.
I have some early onward peas that i grew from seed in four different sucessions to keep me going.They have pods on them now can you eat them now as mange taut i think it is or shall i just wait till there ready?
This is my first year at fruit and veg growing so not sure.
Thankyou.
 :) :)

Paul Plots

Re: peas?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:51 »
I guess you could try.... but, as far as I know (and I don't know a lot about peas), you should be waiting until the pods swell (just a little for the smallest, juiciest peas).

Early onward = early peas

Mange taut (if that's the correct spelling) are grown from a particular strain that produce tender pods rather than a pea crop.

Soon someone will come along and give you a better more knowledgeable answer - in the meantime pick a few pods and see how you get on!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:25 »
Personally I don't care to eat the pods of regular peas as I find them a bit tough. I'd rather let them fill out with actual peas. You can tell when to pick them by feeling the pod and if it seems the peas are a reasonable size you can pick them. I wouldn't wait until the peas inside are large and the pod starts to dry out - you'll only get drier peas.

The mangetout, aka snap, peas are edible shells rather than peas as learner mentioned.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 06:32 »
I'm with Trillium. You'll get tough pods.

Mangetout (French = eat all, Leaner -you should know that) are much more tender.

Don't waste potential peas, they're better than eating the pods!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 09:28 »
I'm with Trillium. You'll get tough pods.

Mangetout (French = eat all, Leaner -you should know that) are much more tender.

Don't waste potential peas, they're better than eating the pods!

I have a problem in that my Waverex pods seem quite tender and yummy so my kids keep pinching baby pods off the plants.  I think next year I need to grow something with a tougher pod that might actually make it as far as a proper pea!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Livinhope

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 10:20 »
On River Cottage the other day Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall made a summer soup using peas, pods and tips put through a blender.  I didn't take down the details but it looked interesting.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 15:21 »
Younger regular pea pods can be eaten in soups but as noted, they need to be cooked and go through a blender first. I've never seen any of the chefs use whole or even chopped up pods in soups; all would puree them and then strain for any chunky bits.

Livinhope

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 15:23 »
That's exactly what HF-W did.  He also put in a shredded bunch of mint.

white westie

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 21:45 »
Wow thankyou very much for the replys everyone,some intresting points there for me to store up.I think i will save them tell they are ready,and will have to find that reciepe for that soup. :)
Thanx again everyone.

Livinhope

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 22:26 »
You need to get on to bbc iplayer and find River Cottage before they take it off, I don't think he gives quantities but he gives a very good idea

white westie

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 23:18 »
Ok livinhope i will take a look thanx.
I walked round my garden today and upon looking at the peas there was a pod that felt a little plump i just could not resist it i had to,mmmm i popped it and ate them they were so scrummy and sweet oh what joy. :) :) :)

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Peas

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 17:02
by Beejay
xx
Peas

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 23:13
by Trillium

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 38 queries.