do i need to keep peas apart?

• 21 Replies

Trillium

Re: do i need to keep peas apart?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 18:52 »
Yes Dave, you did send me a regular leafed heritage pea (can't remember name at the moment) and the one with the fern-type leaves. That's why I'm keeping them separate so I can enjoy their individual merits.

Babstreefern

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 20:39 »
Going back to Peapod about "fast-food".  How fast do you want, straight of the plant pod them, then eat.  10 secs top? :tongue2:
Babs

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 20:48 »
The regular one is "Stokesley" and the unusual one is "Parsley" it's not an unusual leaf shape, but the tendrils are. (They're supposed to be edible by the way).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 20:55 »
All pea shoots are edible they're nice in salads :)  (as well as the raw peas :D)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 21:06 »
These are the tendrils of "Parsley". There's a fair bit of bulk there & you can see where it gets it's name from.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 21:11 »
Going back to Peapod about "fast-food".  How fast do you want, straight of the plant pod them, then eat.  10 secs top? :tongue2:

Its MY fast food...when others laugh at me for having a bad stomach (Im not supposed to eat a lot due to Chrohns!) I always point out its better than a macdonalds ANY day  :D :D
If I had to choose my last meal, 10 pounds of fresh peas picked by me would be my starter and dessert (main would be roast lamb dinner)  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Stripey_cat

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 00:20 »
Oh dear - I have 2 types of heritage peas and some hurst green shaft.  I only have one bed in which to grow them, which is 2-3 yards wide .  I was planning on three rows next to each other ... is this a bad idea?

They won't necessarily be true to type.  Peas aren't as bad as some (eg runner beans) for cross-pollination, and if the seeds will be for your own use it probably won't be a deal-breaker, but you probably oughtn't pass the seed on to other people as the true strain if you can't isolate them.

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Peas

Started by Alec Powell on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2006, 21:47
by Nugget
xx
Peas

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 19:19
by mattwragg94

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 40 queries.