Black Plastic

• 9 Replies

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Black Plastic
« on: February 14, 2011, 19:53 »
Could anyone recommend a supplier of decent black plastic sheeting? My Dad and I have spent so long getting the plot ready for the spring that I don't want those pesky weeds over-running me again before I plant! I really don't like putting plastic down, but I like the weeds even less! Many thanks. Jude.

Christine

Re: Black Plastic
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 20:06 »
Soon as you take the black plastic off and get the soil ready to plant up all the weed seeds in it will shoot away too.

Weeding is a continuous job. Better to knock them over before you plant than you make nice seed beds to encourage them.

A hoe is cheaper than black plastic and a longer term cure I'm afraid.  :D

bigben

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 20:37 »
While I agree with the need to get the weeds out I also have found that weed fabric has meant I have not been overwhelmed in the battle. My allotment was untended for years and was a jungle when I took it on. Eventually I might get to the point where I can do without but I currently plant my onions and garlic through it as well as using it for my pumpkins and squash. This allows me to put more effort on getting the uncovered bits kept clear. I have bought via Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-100gsm-metre-Control-Fabric/dp/B0021GA88K/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1297715423&sr=8-8
it is not cheap and you might be able to get it direct from the maker allplas cheaper. I found you need to get the heavy duty stuff as the thin stuff is not worth bothering with.

beaker141

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 20:39 »
have a look at damp proof membrane, I had a half roll left over and managed to cover half of my half plot.

Mine came from screwfix :-

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88322/Building/Damp-Proof/Damp-Proof-Membrane-Black-4m-x-25m-1000ga

its decent thick stuff (pricey) that doesnt rip easily and really does cut the light out.

Not sure about its uv stability longer term though.

bigben

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 20:44 »
Like Beaker I also have a bit of damp proof stuff. I have used it to kill stuff that has sprouted, it does keep out all the light but also keeps out water from the soil. The weed stuff has the advantage of letting water thru but if all you want to do is cover for a short while to keep the weeds down on an already dug section, then uncover to grow - you could use the damp proof stuff.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 20:50 »
If it's for anything longer than short-term use, I'd advise that you get proper weed proof membrane rather than impermeable plastic.  It does the soil no good to have a lack of air and water - which standard plastic will cause.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 21:28 »
Thanks all. I only want to use it in the short term until I start planting, and then I'm a demon hoe-er! Jude.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 09:52 »
Check your lottie TaC's to.  Mine is very specific about not using black plastic, i was abit annoyed at first however the amount ive pulled out of the groung i can see why!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:48 »
Thanks all. I only want to use it in the short term until I start planting, and then I'm a demon hoe-er! Jude.

If you use weed suppressing membrane (woven, and permeable - rather than impervious plastic) then you could plant-through-it in the first year, which would help control the weeds - those that grow, in the dark, will then succumb, making it easier to manage in future years.

Not a particularly cheap approach though, but it has been often recommended here for plots that were very "wild" when taken over.

crh75

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 14:48 »
It sounds like you have dug over your plot nicely and do not intend to plant though the weed suppressing fabric.  So all you now need to do is look out for weeds. You can dig out any perennial plants that have been missed and simply rake or hoe any weed seedlings in.  That way you will have a nice fine tilth and you will not get a sudden flush of weed seeds germinating at the same time as your veg seeds when you uncover it.

xx
Black plastic: Below as well as above?

Started by Browseruk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2023, 20:17
by Browseruk
xx
black plastic

Started by lizzie1982 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 18:46
by lizzie1982
xx
Planting under black plastic?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 05, 2012, 21:09
by gobs
xx
Mypex or black plastic?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 01:23
by Erfurt

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 37 queries.